MetalworkingFun Forum
Cleaning scrap for melting - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Welding & Casting (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Cleaning scrap for melting (/thread-3367.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Cleaning scrap for melting - Pete O - 10-27-2016

I have some old transmission and transfer case housings that I plan to melt at some stage, I'm wondering if there is something I can leave them soaking in for days / weeks / months that will make them easy to clean just with the pressure washer, I'm thinking much like the old molasses bath for rust removal. I don't want to spend the same amount of time cleaning things up for melting as I would for rebuilding the gearboxes, and I don't need the parts in a hurry.

By the way, I've found that my chinese log splitter is an excellent tool for breaking gearbox housings into crucible-sized chunks. Thing sits unused for months on end, might as well put it to work!

RE: Cleaning scrap for melting - oldskoolron - 10-27-2016

when I had my roadworthy an muffler shop ect I made a old boiler into a steamer id put the parts I want to clean on a grid style shelf above the water and lite the burners boil water an the steam an solvent mix used to clean up real nice .what a bout a bath in some soda wash ?

RE: Cleaning scrap for melting - Dr Stan - 10-27-2016

Do you have access to Simple Green, Purple Power or similar cleaner?

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7290/Cleaning-Supplies/Simple-Green-Original-1-Gallon

Spray the cases down then pressure wash the crud away.  Use a car wash if available.

RE: Cleaning scrap for melting - Pete O - 10-28-2016

Not wanting to run a boiler, more looking at something I can just suspend things in and forget about them, pull them out and hose them off when I want them- much like rust removal with molasses as mentioned. I have just acquired a couple of empty 44-gallon drums, thinking I can use one of those to hang the cases in if I can find a suitable cleaning solution.
Would that work with the Simple Green? I have not seen it here but haven't looked either. Any clue as to what the active ingredient is?

Ok looks like I can get the Simple Green easily enough- Purple Power not available- question remains are these biodegradable solvents suitable for long-term soaking?

(10-27-2016, 09:48 PM)oldskoolron Wrote: when I had my roadworthy an muffler shop ect I made a old boiler into a steamer id put the parts I want to clean on a grid style shelf above the water and lite the burners boil water an the steam an solvent mix used to clean up real nice .what a bout a bath in some soda wash ?

Ron I only just twigged what you're referring to as 'soda wash', is that caustic soda? Sounds like a distinct possibility although I assume that would need a plastic drum rather than a steel one?

RE: Cleaning scrap for melting - f350ca - 10-28-2016

With products like Simple Green, or Purple Power there is no need to soak for a long time. I use a weed sprayer that you pump up, spray the parts down, let it soak for 5 or 10 minutes and pressure wash them. It leaves the surface clean enough to paint, all oil and grease is removed.

RE: Cleaning scrap for melting - EdK - 10-28-2016

I've read that Purple Power is not good for aluminum. It eats it for breakfast.

Ed

RE: Cleaning scrap for melting - Vinny - 10-28-2016

Simple Green is even safe for food prep surfaces.

RE: Cleaning scrap for melting - Dr Stan - 10-28-2016

(10-28-2016, 06:24 AM)Pete O Wrote: Ron I only just twigged what you're referring to as 'soda wash', is that caustic soda? Sounds like a distinct possibility although I assume that would need a plastic drum rather than a steel one?

Soda wash is quite safe.  Just do not confuse it with lye as I've known a few people who think lye is soda wash.  BTW, its also used in reverse electrolysis to strip rust off ferrous material.