MetalworkingFun Forum
Raising the roof - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Shop Stuff (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-44.html)
+--- Thread: Raising the roof (/thread-3576.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Raising the roof - Dr Stan - 05-21-2017

[attachment=14491][attachment=14492]
When I built my shop I should have made the walls 12ft high, but I did not.  So I'm now starting the process of raising the roof & of course the walls.

Here's the starting point.  I've cleared out a little over a third of the shop and am working on removing the ceiling title attached to the trusses and the insulation under the tiles.  So far I've removed the tiles off the end.

I plan of doing the roof raising in 16 ft sections, or one third of the shop at a time.

RE: Raising the roof - awemawson - 05-22-2017

How much higher are you going with it Stan, the full 12 foot?

RE: Raising the roof - TomG - 05-22-2017

An ambitious project Stan. Happyyes

Can you raise one eve at a time the full amount? That would save disturbing the roof.

Tom

RE: Raising the roof - Dr Stan - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 02:56 PM)TomG Wrote: An ambitious project Stan. Happyyes

Can you raise one eve at a time the full amount? That would save disturbing the roof.

Tom

I'm not sure what you're saying Tom as the roof has to be disturbed to raise it an additional 4 ft.

(05-22-2017, 01:45 AM)awemawson Wrote: How much higher are you going with it Stan, the full 12 foot?

Yes I'm going to raise it to 12ft.  I've purchased a Nussbaum 2 post asymmetrical lift to assist in the restoration of my '66 Plymouth Satellite, so the roof must rise!

My plan is to raise one third of the roof at a time, 16ft long.  I'm stripping the acoustic tiles off the trusses and then will go after the insulation.  Then I'll strip that portion of the roof including the sheeting.  I used 7/16 sheeting with metal clips to tie them together and I'm replacing it with 3/4" OSB tongue & groove.  Much stronger.

After the sheeting is gone I'll disconnect the trusses moving them to the end of the intact portion.

I expect to be able to prefab the stem walls, raise them and will tie them into the walls with 1/4" carriage bolts.  I'm getting help when I start moving the trusses.

As soon as I change the height of this end I'll also install my new to me 10ft overhead door which will allow me to use my walk behind forklift inside my shop. Big Grin

BTW, in any case the roof must be re-shingled due to hail storm damage.  I received just over $10K from the insurance co, spent $3400 to have the very steep (5 or 6/12 pitch) portion of the house re-roofed and $1K on roofing materials.  I do just fine with 4/12, but this roof is way too steep for me plus I was still using a cane at the time.  To me using the terms using a cane and climbing up on a roof just don't seem to go together very well.   Tongue On sale and bulk discount saved me well over $500.  That leaves me with well over $5K for all the other materials.  :)

Boy is it dirty up there.  Jawdrop however 8 years of grinding dust, welding fumes and plain old dust sure adds up.

RE: Raising the roof - awemawson - 05-23-2017

Lots of pictures please as you go along. This sounds an interesting bit of structural re-engineering

RE: Raising the roof - TomG - 05-23-2017

(05-22-2017, 10:03 PM)Dr Stan Wrote:

Tom

I'm not sure what you're saying Tom as the roof has to be disturbed to raise it an additional 4 ft.

I thought you might be able to lift one side at a time, leaving the entire roof structure intact. But four feet is probably too much of a lift for that to be manageable.

Tom

RE: Raising the roof - Dr Stan - 05-23-2017

(05-23-2017, 09:08 AM)TomG Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 10:03 PM)Dr Stan Wrote:

Tom

I thought you might be able to lift one side at a time, leaving the entire roof structure intact. But four feet is probably too much of a lift for that to be manageable.

Tom

plus I'm replacing the sheeting.

RE: Raising the roof - Pete O - 05-24-2017

Sounds like quite a project Stan- nice of the insurance company to help out. I had an insurance win a while back too, branch came down on my 4-bay carport and the cheapest quote to replace half the roof and the pool solar heating was $10,500. I got it in cash and replaced the whole roof plus raised it 18" at the front so I can get my Land Rover in with the roof rack on, and 36" at the back to make it steep enough for the rain to run off. Repaired the pool solar, had some concreting done and replaced a retaining wall and still haven't spent the whole insurance settlement. Where would such things be if tradesmen didn't charge exorbitant prices? Big Grin
Height is nice to have in the shed.

RE: Raising the roof - Mayhem - 05-24-2017

You might want to wipe the dust off those fan blades whilst you are up there Big Grin

RE: Raising the roof - Dr Stan - 05-24-2017

(05-24-2017, 05:31 AM)Mayhem Wrote: You might want to wipe the dust off those fan blades whilst you are up there Big Grin

I was as dirty after climbing off the scaffolding as I was when I was working on the plumbing in the house crawl space.  Just not as wet. Big Grin