MetalworkingFun Forum
Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2 - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2 (/thread-3699.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2 - Pete O - 06-03-2019

I completed the Mach Tach installation today, mounted it under the DRO. I've decided to run it off a 9v battery, I put a switch on the side of the enclosure so it only needs to be on when setting speeds, I figure the battery life should be pretty reasonable that way. All the spare 9V power supplies I could muster were putting out closer to 12v when measured, which apparently risks releasing the smoke from the Mach Tach, not something I want to do, especially considering they are no longer available.
[attachment=16233]
[attachment=16234]

The rev count agrees with my analogue RPM meter. The spindle speeds are actually double what the plate on the machine states; I guess the high RPM motor has been a retrofit. Top speed is 4600 RPM. Something of an improvement over the original Victoria vertical attachment.

RE: Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2 - Highpower - 06-03-2019

(06-03-2019, 04:15 AM)Pete O Wrote: ..... especially considering they are no longer available.

Whaaaa??? This is the first I've heard of this. Bummer.
I guess I better go download all the info files and source code before they disappear too. Sad

Your's is looking good though Pete. Clean install.

RE: Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2 - Pete O - 06-27-2019

I've been adding a few final touches to the Frankenmill as time permits. First a work lamp; I didn't want to spend the money on an off-the-shelf machine lamp, was browsing some online auctions and spotted a bunch of underwater photography equipment, it was in a sale that was unlikely to attract specific interest from the diving crowd so I picked it up for a song. What attracted me was the universal mounting arms and brackets. A modification to an old desk lamp to adapt a 12v domestic downlight (for some reason I have boxes of the things) and the result is a very versatile work lamp.
[attachment=16266]
[attachment=16267]
[attachment=16268]
[attachment=16269]
[attachment=16270]

With a total of eight ball joints, it can flex into pretty much any position. A nice bonus is that I've put the remaining camera gear back on the net and look like making a small profit  Big Grin

The next little addition was a two-outlet coolant manifold that clamps onto the dovetails under the overarm. Cobbled together out of stuff I had lying around. I run coolant across from the lathe, plain old garden hose fittings seem to do ok for the task. A similar hose connector on the lathe means I can just click the hose onto either one.
[attachment=16271]
[attachment=16272]

The third completed item is the cover for the horizontal spindle shown in the photos above. The rusty old heavy-walled pipe I picked up to make my big crucible was just the right size to be bored out to fit.

Lastly, some perspex that I shamelessly dumpster-dived for last year finally found it's way onto the mill table. Keeps chips fairly well under control.
[attachment=16273]

About the only thing remaining before I call the Frankenmill complete, is the top cowl for the vertical motor. Nothing has come to hand just yet.

RE: Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2 - TomG - 06-27-2019

...and paint the rest of the mill to match. Big Grin

Tom

RE: Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2 - Pete O - 06-28-2019

(06-27-2019, 11:56 PM)TomG Wrote: ...and paint the rest of the mill to match. Big Grin

Tom

That's retirement talking!

RE: Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2 - TomG - 06-28-2019

(06-28-2019, 03:02 AM)Pete O Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 11:56 PM)TomG Wrote: ...and paint the rest of the mill to match. Big Grin

Tom

That's retirement talking!

Happyyes