MetalworkingFun Forum
Fly cutter project!!! - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Fly cutter project!!! (/thread-394.html)

Pages: 1 2

Fly cutter project!!! - pjf134 - 05-10-2012

I decided to make a fly cutter for the mill, so I put a piece of 3/4" dia. cold rolled in the lathe and turned down the shaft to fit the mill holder. Next I set up the rotary table on the mill and cut the tool slot the 10 degrees needed and added a set screw to hold the tool in place and grind the tool for the fly cutter then tried it out. I was going to stone the cutter, but I think it is good the way it is after I leveled a piece of aluminum angle. The flash on the camera made the pic a little shinny, then my battery went in the camera, so what you see is what you get for now.
Paul

RE: Fly cutter project!!! - DaveH - 05-10-2012

Paul,
Well by the looks of it, that fly cutter works very well. Thumbsup
Smiley-signs107
When you find where the battery went, Rotfl and you find it, perhaps you could show us some pics of the fly cutter.Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Fly cutter project!!! - EdK - 05-10-2012

Paul,

It looks like your new tool did a fine job on the aluminum angle iron. As Dave said, more pictures would be more than welcome. Smile

Ed

RE: Fly cutter project!!! - Highpower - 05-10-2012

Wow. That is quite a nice finish for a first attempt. You definitely did something right Paul. Looks much better than my first try at using a flycutter! Blush

Smiley-signs107

RE: Fly cutter project!!! - pjf134 - 05-10-2012

Got the battery charged up and took some pics of the fly cutter. I still had the rotary table still on the mill so I stuck the cutter in the chuck and took a pic and the cutter is in wrong in the one pic, but you get the idea, so just turn the rotary 180 and it works out right.
Paul

RE: Fly cutter project!!! - Dave J - 05-11-2012

Looks like it does a good job, and thats all that matters. It will be a handy tool to have around for future jobs.

Dave

RE: Fly cutter project!!! - stevec - 05-11-2012

(05-10-2012, 04:25 PM)pjf134 Wrote: , so I put a piece of 3/4" dia. cold rolled in the lathe and turned down the shaft to fit the mill holder.
Just curious as to why the shank seems so small (dia.).
Is that the largest end mill holder you have?
I'm not criticizing, just thought the biggest shank possible would be best.

RE: Fly cutter project!!! - pjf134 - 05-11-2012

(05-11-2012, 07:02 AM)stevec Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 04:25 PM)pjf134 Wrote: , so I put a piece of 3/4" dia. cold rolled in the lathe and turned down the shaft to fit the mill holder.
Just curious as to why the shank seems so small (dia.).
Is that the largest end mill holder you have?
I'm not criticizing, just thought the biggest shank possible would be best.

Stevec,
The mini mill came with a small holder so that is what I used. They make a bigger one I think, but I just wanted to make a small cutter for now to try out. I want a bigger mill, but for now this will do me.
Paul

RE: Fly cutter project!!! - doubleboost - 05-11-2012

Paul
You have a good finish on that piece of angleBig Grin
The cuttings look good as well (chips)
Thanks for posting the pictures
John

RE: Fly cutter project!!! - aametalmaster - 05-11-2012

Nice...Bob