MetalworkingFun Forum
Homebuilt stand for Enco 30 - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Homebuilt stand for Enco 30 (/thread-4049.html)

Homebuilt stand for Enco 30 - lakebom - 06-08-2019

Not sure if this is correct area but here goes: Total newby recently purchased an Enco 30 with 6 inch Enco vise( seems huge for the machine) tooling & original stand which was never used. Have read about these stands lacking rigidity and solutions from welding to filling with concrete( seems drastic) At the risk of much laughter how about a wooden unit based on 4x4s 0r 4x6s, I have the wood shop and the lumber?

RE: Homebuilt stand for Enco 30 - TomG - 06-08-2019

It all depends on how you design it. With adequate cross bracing and or sheeting, a wooden stand can be very rigid.

Tom

RE: Homebuilt stand for Enco 30 - lakebom - 06-08-2019

Thanks! Verticals would be 4x4s or 4x6s, top would be 4 laminations of 3/4 " plywood, I'm new but have read a bit about the necessity of rigidity and have found noone suggesting using the factory stand as is. Received the unit bolted to a pallet and never realized that he never used the stand, Have an older Delta DP that might like the stand, Thanks again!

RE: Homebuilt stand for Enco 30 - TomG - 06-08-2019

Be sure to add some diagonals or sheet the sides with plywood.

Tom

RE: Homebuilt stand for Enco 30 - EdK - 06-08-2019

I had an Enco mill that I put on a wooden stand. Worked just fine. I used two layers of 3/4" plywood for the platform for the mill to sit on. I put plywood on the sides and back to strengthen it as Tom suggested.

Ed

[attachment=16248]

RE: Homebuilt stand for Enco 30 - EdK - 06-08-2019

(06-08-2019, 12:16 PM)lakebom Wrote: Thanks! Verticals would be 4x4s or 4x6s, top would be 4 laminations of 3/4 " plywood, I'm new but have read a bit about the necessity of rigidity and have found noone suggesting using the factory stand as is. Received the unit bolted to a pallet and never realized that he never used the stand, Have an older Delta DP that might like the stand, Thanks again!

4x4 & 4x6s are overkill. I used 2x4s and 2x6s. I had some angle iron inside but I can't remember exactly where I put it. It's been over a decade since I built it.

Ed

RE: Homebuilt stand for Enco 30 - lakebom - 06-08-2019

(06-08-2019, 04:15 PM)EdK Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 12:16 PM)lakebom Wrote: Thanks! Verticals would be 4x4s or 4x6s, top would be 4 laminations of 3/4 " plywood, I'm new but have read a bit about the necessity of rigidity and have found noone suggesting using the factory stand as is. Received the unit bolted to a pallet and never realized that he never used the stand, Have an older Delta DP that might like the stand, Thanks again!

4x4 & 4x6s are overkill. I used 2x4s and 2x6s. I had some angle iron inside but I can't remember exactly where I put it. It's been over a decade since I built it.

Ed

Thanks for the input! I have the 4x6 lumber around forever. sheathing  sides in plywood  sounds good. THank you!