MetalworkingFun Forum
Inserts - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: 3D Printing (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-46.html)
+--- Thread: Inserts (/thread-4328.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Inserts - Highpower - 02-01-2022

Another question Ed. What formula are you using to determine what size hole to make, in relation to the OD of the inserts?

RE: Inserts - rleete - 02-01-2022

It's usually specified with the inserts. If it gives a range, use smaller size in softer plastics, larger in harder ones.

RE: Inserts - Dr Stan - 02-01-2022

(01-31-2022, 11:37 AM)Highpower Wrote: Bear in mind I am only thinking about replacing inserts that have been broken out vs. installing them fresh in a new housing. My only use would be for making repairs.
Your thoughts?

Years & years ago I worked at a machine shop that made items for the US military, virtually all for the Navy. I do remember some torpedo nose cone parts made from cast aluminum that required some steel inserts. That was the first and only time I ever encountered specs for an item that included thread inserts as part of its manufacturing. All the other times I have used thread inserts was to make a repair.

RE: Inserts - EdK - 02-01-2022

(02-01-2022, 09:27 AM)Highpower Wrote: Another question Ed. What formula are you using to determine what size hole to make, in relation to the OD of the inserts?

I measured the inserts and guesstimated what the hole size should be and tweaked them if necessary. I went through all of the sizes of inserts I have and wrote down what the hole size should be. Then I tested them in PLA to make sure. The inserts I got didn't specify what the hole size should be.

Ed

(02-01-2022, 11:12 AM)EdK Wrote: I measured the inserts and guesstimated what the hole size should be and tweaked them if necessary. I went through all of the sizes of inserts I have and wrote down what the hole size should be. Then I tested them in PLA to make sure. The inserts I got didn't specify what the hole size should be.

Ed

OK, I thought as much. I ordered a small combination set from the same ebay seller you used. I guess I will have to experiment in trying to use them in epoxy too. I have some missing inserts in a couple of my Simpson meters with Bakelite cases where the bosses have broken out. Will have to rebuild new bosses from epoxy since I don't think my plastic 'welding rods' will work.

Stan, 99% of my Heli-Coil use has been for repairs as well although I have had made a few aluminum fixtures in the past where I installed them from the get-go because the threads were going to get used quite a bit. Changing hold down clamps, repeated mounting on a tripod etc., etc. Unfortunately my riv-nut sets or welders aren't going to help much on plastics and Bakelite.

RE: Inserts - rleete - 02-01-2022

(02-01-2022, 01:45 PM)Highpower Wrote: Unfortunately my riv-nut sets or welders aren't going to help much on plastics and Bakelite.

This is your chance to make plate steel cases for everything!

[attachment=17604]

Big Grin

RE: Inserts - EdK - 07-23-2022

Got some 1/4-20 inserts for a project so I had to make an installation tool for them.

Ed

[attachment=17956]  [attachment=17957]

[attachment=17958]

RE: Inserts - Highpower - 07-23-2022

As usual... Graemlin

RE: Inserts - rleete - 07-24-2022

Where's the other sizes? And no printed plastic case? C'mon, Ed; you've raised our expectations of you.

Seriously, though, nice finish.