MetalworkingFun Forum
Upgraded Printer - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: 3D Printing (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-46.html)
+--- Thread: Upgraded Printer (/thread-4577.html)

Upgraded Printer - EdK - 03-16-2024

I completed upgrading my 3D printer today. Much faster and quieter.  Thumbsup

Ed

[attachment=18618]

RE: Upgraded Printer - arvidj - 03-16-2024

Which upgrade did you go with? I've been tempted, but am also thinking about a new, different printer altogether.

RE: Upgraded Printer - rleete - 03-16-2024

Now you have to reprint all the boxes you've made.

RE: Upgraded Printer - EdK - 03-17-2024

(03-16-2024, 09:58 PM)arvidj Wrote: Which upgrade did you go with? I've been tempted, but am also thinking about a new, different printer altogether.

MK3S to MK4 upgrade. All major components are replaced so you strip the MK3 down to the frame and start upgrading. It's a lot of detailed work. Not hard work, you just have to follow the directions carefully. I worked on it for about a week and a half, not full time though.

Ed

RE: Upgraded Printer - EdK - 03-17-2024

(03-16-2024, 10:52 PM)rleete Wrote: Now you have to reprint all the boxes you've made.

Rotfl

Ed

RE: Upgraded Printer - arvidj - 05-13-2024

Ed,

You mentioned it is much faster. Looking at the pieces that make up each of the upgrade paths, what would you attribute the major part of the 'faster' to? The pieces in the:

MK3S/+ to MK3.5

MK3/S/+ to MK3.9

MK3/S/+ to MK4

I have a pre-order for a RAT RIG V-CORE 4 but it will be multiple months before it will ship. So I'm wondering what I can do with the existing MK3S+ for faster prints with minimal dollars in the interim. The cost of the 'go for it all' upgrade approached the price of a new MK4, which I would prefer to put towards the RatRig.

Thanks,
Arvid

RE: Upgraded Printer - EdK - 05-13-2024

(9 hours ago)arvidj Wrote: Ed,

You mentioned it is much faster. Looking at the pieces that make up each of the upgrade paths, what would you attribute the major part of the 'faster' to? The pieces in the:

I have a pre-order for a RAT RIG V-CORE 4 but it will be multiple months before it will ship. So I'm wondering what I can do with the existing MK3S+ for faster prints with minimal dollars in the interim. The cost of the 'go for it all' upgrade approached the price of a new MK4, which I would prefer to put towards the RatRig.

Thanks,
Arvid

My guess is that it's due to the new control/driver board and maybe some firmware improvements. A blurb from Prusa's website:

"it has support for high-speed printing with Input Shaper and Pressure Advance."

Maybe the new extruder speeds things up also since they redesigned it for more control over the extrusion process.

These are all guesses but I sure can tell the differences in speed. That was the thing I noticed right away. Being quieter was noticed later since I couldn't hear it printing when I was at the far end of my mobile home. I could definitely hear it with the old hardware. Not sure if any of this answers your questions though.

Ed

RE: Upgraded Printer - EdK - 05-13-2024

(3 hours ago)EdK Wrote: I have a pre-order for a RAT RIG V-CORE 4

Interesting looking printer. Their website sucks. Lots of fancy pictures and videos but sparse on details. And they're pricey. What about those made you decide on that printer? Chin

Ed

RE: Upgraded Printer - rubes - 05-13-2024

I need to upgrade from my Ender 3 Pro. I didnt wanna spend alot on my first printer and that one fit the bill. I was happy with the results I got with it right out of the box. But now that I know I cant live without a 3D printer its time to step up. What to, I have no idea. I just want something to print, not become another project and tinkering opportunity, wishful thinking probably. X1C maybe? IDK still thinking what to do.