MetalworkingFun Forum
Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly (/thread-578.html)

Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 07-01-2012

Well the gradual strip down of my Kondia mill is progressing, as I had the opportunity over the weekend to look a bit more at the head. I made an adaptor the mount the head on my engine stand and attempted to disassemble the quill stop/trip lever components.

The quill stop micro screw is held in place by a reverse trip ball lever, which I cannot figure out how to remove. I managed to find a large scale drawing of the head but this hasn't helped me figure this part out. Here is the section of the drawing in question. The reverse trip ball lever screw is missing.

[attachment=2123]

This is what I see when looking at the head:

[attachment=2124] [attachment=2125]

I think the round item in the hole is the trip ball lever (167) in the drawing and as you can see, it moves with the plunger (412). When the plunder is all the way down, the trip ball lever moves quite freely but I cannot get it to move towards me.

Looking at the drawings for a Bridgeport J Head, the mechanisms look the same.

Any ideas 17428

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - stevec - 07-01-2012

Any chance of drilling it with a lefthand drill? (or would that be right hand drill south of the equator?Big Grin) Followed by an extractor, if necessary.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 07-01-2012

Well the thing is, I don't know exactly how it is suppose to come out. There is nothing to suggest that it has snapped off and it rotates both CW and CCW without any problem.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - DaveH - 07-01-2012

Mayhem,

You could try a magnet (if it is magnetic) to pull it out, "wiggling" the plunger at the same time.
Just a thoughtSmile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - ETC57 - 07-01-2012

(07-01-2012, 07:10 AM)DaveH Wrote: Mayhem,

You could try a magnet (if it is magnetic) to pull it out, "wiggling" the plunger at the same time.
Just a thoughtSmile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Dave ,6799

That's my thinking, maybe spray some solvent in the hole to help reduce suction from the oil.Big Grin

Jerry.Popcorn

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 07-01-2012

I probably should have listed the things I have done. I was in a rush and figured the post was long enough as it was. Here is what I have tried thus far:
  1. Contact cleaner and other solvents
  2. Magnets
  3. Pics, awls and anything else I could get into the small hole and wiggled/dragged/pulled
  4. Rotating the head so the hole faced downwards and hit the area with a rubber malet
  5. Strong language and beer Bash
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far - please keep them coming.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - DaveH - 07-01-2012

Mayhem,

Well if "strong language and beer" couldn't do it - then I'm also stuck RotflRotflRotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - krv3000 - 07-02-2012

? is the hole in the middle taped if so screw a bolt in it and pull it out or is it sopsd to be pusht in rather than pulld out

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 07-02-2012

Not threaded that I can see but didn't have any screws small enough. I'm going to get some from home and have a go. Other thought was to find something a little too large to fit the hole and placing it in the freezer overnight. I could then heat the lever with a hot air gun and see if I can get a grip that way.

Don't suppose anyone has a spare head out there?

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - stevec - 07-02-2012

What does the " reverse trip ball lever screw", #413 screw into? Sorry, I'm just trying to get my head around the whole set-up.