MetalworkingFun Forum
Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly (/thread-578.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Highpower - 05-11-2014

(05-11-2014, 02:05 AM)Mayhem Wrote: .... Now just for comparison. Here are 2 pictures of the pinion shaft hub sleeves (old and new) side by side. I still don't know how you can damage one of these so badly Bash

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=8300]

Arbor press? 17428

Excellent work Darrin, but an 8 ball would have been more appropriate.... Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 05-11-2014

9 is my lucky number Willie!

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 05-23-2014

(04-25-2014, 10:59 PM)Mayhem Wrote: I do have a lube guide but it doesn't specify the spindle. There is only an oil cup for the back gears, unlike the BP that has one for the spindle as well. I extract the pages from the manual and post them later, as I don't have Acrobat Pro on this PC.

(04-26-2014, 09:38 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Attached are the pages from the FV-1 manual regarding lubrication.

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/attachment.php?aid=8198

I've picked up the bearings and they are not pre-packed with grease. There is some residual light oil in the sealed bag they come in. The top of the spindle has a felt / metal cover and there are certainly no oil points. Any thoughts and comments?

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - stevec - 05-24-2014

I may be wrong, but I generally don't like grease for bearings if there's a way to oil them regularly. I find the grease can harden with time and no longer coats the moving parts (balls, retainer, inner race etc.)

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 05-24-2014

Thanks Steve - it looks like the Kondia mills were designed to run with grease. Here is an email I got back from a former service tech:

"...strictly from memory the lower bearings would be filled with grease......the new bearings which you bought should be in plastic wallet with preservative oil. Wash this off with clean solvent or kerosene and replace with high speed spindle bearing grease. ( should be obtainable from bearing company such as SKF (sold in tubes like toothpaste size!) Do not pack bearing with more than 30% grease in volume as this can result in bearing overheating..."

Today I made a few of the missing parts. Nothing too complex - the quill lock handle and the handle for the rack pinion.

The original quill lock thread was bent and chewed (not sure how), so I made one. My original attempt was with some mystery steel and the threads chewed rather than cut. So, I decided to turn up an old bolt, as I didn't have a M8x1.25 long enough. Once the thread was cut, I turned down the head until it was a press fit into a large nut. I then used the nut to tighten the quill lock and establish a suitable location for the handle. Once done, I drilled and tapped a hole for a M6x1.0 thread and turned off the hex. Next was to make the short lever to finish off the handle.

Next was the handle for the ram pinion gear. Again, I chose a suitable bolt and made the handle, and some mystery steel to make the knob.

All external threads were single pointed on the lathe. There are 1.0, 1.25, 1.5 and 1.75 pitch threads there. Changing out the gears takes longer than cutting the threads!

Original quill lock next to the new one:
[attachment=8367]

Press fit into a scrap nut:
[attachment=8368]

A little 'hot glue':
[attachment=8369]

Finished piece:
[attachment=8370]

Ram pinion gear handle (top) and quill lock handle (bottom):
[attachment=8371]

Ready for use:
[attachment=8372]

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 05-24-2014

Wow! Nice parts Darren!

Those look every bit as good as anything I'd make. Congrats.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - TomG - 05-24-2014

Nice job Darren!

How long until the maiden voyage?

Tom

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - EdK - 05-24-2014

Well done Darren. Thumbsup

Those threads look very nicely cut.

Ed

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - stevec - 05-24-2014

Great job Darren! Worthy (I don't know why I bother offering my feeble advice? I think I'll sit quietly and watch and learn).
Keep up the good work and reports.Thumbsup

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 05-24-2014

Thank you all for your comments Big Grin

Ken - I am truly flattered and glad the time in your workshop has not been lost.

Tom - not too long now but I'm not going to rush it. Once I put the spindle bearings in the head can go back together. The knee, saddle and table still need to be assembled.

Ed - I've realized that threading on the lathe doesn't really take all that much more time single pointing that when trying to use a die. Setting up the change gears is the time consuming part!

Steve - I value your comments (as I do all comments), so please keep them coming.