MetalworkingFun Forum
Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly (/thread-578.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 05-31-2014

Today I put the spindle bearings in, taking great care not to balls things up, as they need to go in back-to-back.

Once the spindle was in, I could insert the pinion gear and shaft, the clutch and then the quill feed forward/reverse drive shaft and then the feed gear shaft and the worm gear cradle. All went well until I found out that the pinion shaft is bent Bash

[attachment=8489]
[attachment=8490]
[attachment=8491]
[attachment=8492]

Looks like it all has to come back out...

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - EdK - 05-31-2014

Good grief! The prior owner sure abused the hell out of that machine.

Ed

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 05-31-2014

Please don't remind me Ed Ouch

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 06-01-2014

Hey Darren (and anyone else who can help),

I looked over the print for the quill feed engagement part as I was to start making it yesterday. I found that I need some help with extrapolating some dimensions, but I no longer have a working copy of AutoCad2000 to do it.

What I need is the X-Y coordinate values for the angles coming off the 25mm radius, out to the 60mm width. Kondia clearly used a casting that would have had those dimensions, so we'll have to figure them out. Got any ideas?

Other that that, I've decided to run up to BTS-Patriot Steels in Dover NH to get a couple of pieces of 4142 pre-treated stock to make the part. Of course I only need one piece, but you know Murphy's Law, subchapter C, paragraph 5, "If you have a spare piece of stock you won't need it, it you don't have a spare you WILL need it."

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 06-02-2014

Hi Ken,

I'm not confident that I have understood your question but I have had a go! I used DraftSight, which is free and easy enough that I can use it!

Attached is my interpretation of the angle you are after. I don't think that I originally posted the Kondia drawing, as I was concerned regarding copyright. However, Kondia have released the drawing to me as they no longer manufacturer these parts, so it may be OK to do so. Ed - what do you think?

In the meantime, if you want to look at the Kondia drawing, please PM me...

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 06-02-2014

You're on the right track. What I need isn't the angles, but the X-Y axis coordinates for where the 25mm radius stops and the angles start.

How would I calculate that? What do you want to use as the 0,0 point?

Dimension from the center of the 25mm radius to the end points of radius where it meets the angles. Using the center of the 25mm radius would be fine. I can shift from there if needed.

OK - I think I have it:

[attachment=8513]

Perfect! As soon as I can get the better material I can start. So sorry for the delays, it's been a VERY busy time for me.

I had to grind 3 more of those blocks for a friend in a big hurry yesterday because the hardened ones I did last weekend were cracked from poor heat treating. This time he convinced his customer to take them in the annealed condition because it's base for a static gauge, not a high speed working press tool or anything like that.