MetalworkingFun Forum
Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly (/thread-578.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 06-19-2014

Thanks Kenne,

I have referred to that a lot but I managed to find the large drawings for my mill, which I have printed at full size. I couldn't have done a lot of the work on this mill without it. There are several differences between the Kondia and the BP. So I couldn't say the Kondia was a BP clone, only a copy.

The part that Ken is making for me is off the original Kondia drawing for that part. I have to say they have been very helpful in providing me with the drawing for the parts that they no longer manufacture. They still have the majority of parts available for my will, which is circa 1969.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 06-19-2014

(06-19-2014, 07:00 AM)stevec Wrote:
(06-18-2014, 07:48 PM)PixMan Wrote: I discovered my error. Overall thickness WRONG. I thought I could use 1-1/4" thick stock, turns out I need at least 36mm.

Ken, I rely heavily on Josh Madison's "Convert" program.

Convert

I keep it on my toolbar and bring it up whenever needed.

I have that program on my computer but don't need it for converting MM to In. My problem with screwing up the part was that I didn't see the datum lines and add up the heights correctly.

I should be getting more stock soon. Second try should be fine. The only part I've made in my shop that needed a "third try" (three strikes you're out) was the elevation screw for Darren's machine. The second try was perfect right up until the very last pass on the threads. The threading insert had dulled with all the passes it took, dug in and went undersize halfway through that last pass. Lesson learned, I indexed the insert with about 4 passes to go when making the last one.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - EdK - 06-20-2014

(06-19-2014, 08:39 PM)PixMan Wrote: ...
I should be getting more stock soon. ...

Ken,

What material are you going to use this time? 4140 maybe? Chin

Ed

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 06-20-2014

(06-20-2014, 04:57 PM)EdK Wrote:
(06-19-2014, 08:39 PM)PixMan Wrote: ...
I should be getting more stock soon. ...

Ken,

What material are you going to use this time? 4140 maybe? Chin

Ed

Back on page 12 (depending on your preference for posts per page):

(06-01-2014, 08:07 PM)PixMan Wrote: ...I've decided to run up to BTS-Patriot Steels in Dover NH to get a couple of pieces of 4142 pre-treated stock to make the part...

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 06-29-2014

I got a piece of 1045 to make a good one. It'll have to do, as I'm so buried in work I can't get up to BTS-Patriot Steels. It was free, and still quite a bit stronger than the original "Kamak" cast iron.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 06-29-2014

Thanks Ken, I'm happy with whatever I can get and if it saves you having to go out of your way, then that is better still. Unless of course you were planning on riding your bike up there...

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 06-29-2014

I am so short on time having to take care of my mother after work most days, so it was nice of the guy to give me the chunk of stock and you to give me a pass on it being just a tad short.

Here's today's progress, though again interrupted when my daughter failed to show up to care for mom. I separated the contour into two different programs and it worked MUCH better that way. I'll get more time this week, an hour or two here & there to mill the round boss, drill holes and get the milling down to where the first attempt was (until I discovered my screw-up on stock thickness.

I milled this with a 1/2" 3-flute solid carbide end mill it less than half the time it took using a 3/4" 3-insert cutter the last time. That end mill just murdered the steel, and left a better finish! Big Grin

[Image: IMG_2355-r_zps816e1bb5.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20140629_204623016_zpsqiok1inh.jpg]

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 06-30-2014

Ooohhhhh shiny :)

Don't sweat on time Ken. I'm extremely grateful that you are doing this for me. Your family time and commitments should come first though. Please thank the material donor for me when you see them next.

Quick question - what was it that made you switch from the 3/4" insert mill to the 1/2" carbide one? Was it the finish on the original piece or the material?

Thank you!

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 07-01-2014

Got another hour & a half in the shop this afternoon to see how far I could get. Pleased to say I'm now just a step away from where I was with the first attempt, the counterbores on the clearance holes for the M6 screws.

(06-30-2014, 12:09 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Ooohhhhh shiny :)

Don't sweat on time Ken. I'm extremely grateful that you are doing this for me. Your family time and commitments should come first though. Please thank the material donor for me when you see them next.

Quick question - what was it that made you switch from the 3/4" insert mill to the 1/2" carbide one? Was it the finish on the original piece or the material?

Thank you!

The reasons I went with a 1/2" solid carbide was because a) I have two unused ones, and b) longer length of cut per pass it went a LOT faster.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 07-02-2014

Thanks Ken - looking good Big Grin