MetalworkingFun Forum
Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly (/thread-578.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 07-05-2014

Thanks Ken - that looks fantastic and much better than the cast original. There is no way I could have machined that part myself (even looking past the fact that my mill is in pieces).

Yesterday I fitted the quill skirt that I had fabricated.

[attachment=8813]
[attachment=8814]
[attachment=8815]
[attachment=8816]

Next I started on the quill stop micrometer screw and the associated trip mechanisms that kick out the quill feed. As I was locating the parts and removing them from their packaging, I noticed that I have a significant issue that needs to be addressed first. The screw is missing the hole at the top where the reverse trip ball lever fits. I am going to contact Kondia and ask them for the exact location and size of the hole.

[attachment=8821]

I fitted the quill feed gear selector and cover as well as the worm gear selector.

[attachment=8817]
[attachment=8818]

I also fitted the hand wheel coupler to ascertain the exact need for the cut out in the feed trip bracket (the part that Ken is making for me). It is for the retaining screw for the detent ball for the feed selector knob. The hole in the coupler doesn't line up very well with the hole in the shaft, so I need to shorten it a little as the ball locks the shaft otherwise (not a very good picture - sorry).

[attachment=8819]

It's starting to look like a mill again Big Grin

[attachment=8820]

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 07-05-2014

Well it looks like you've already got a quill feed trip bracket on there, so I'll just toss this one I've been working on.

OK?

Big Grin

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 07-05-2014

Sure - toss it into the post once you have finished Big Grin

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 07-06-2014

I had taken one of my former vocational high school shop teachers over to the shop today for a tour, he stayed about 1 hour and I brought him home. Very impressed, he's almost 91 years old but sharp as a tack! I showed him the part I'm making, and asked him if he would finish the bore or mill the slot first. He & I agreed, finish the bore as 1045 steel is very stable. Once I got back, the first order of business was to relieve the shank on the only 6mm end mill I own. Done! (The photo taken after using it later.)
[Image: IMG_2381-r_zps23d3a400.jpg]

Here's a shot of the boring head at work. I had a 3/8" solid carbide boring bar just barely long enough to get the 60mm length bore done. If this didn't work, I would have had to buy something. I used a 6" Starrett No.20 solid square to line it up in the vise, but did nail it using my Interapid "tenths" indicator along the vertical surface. That was milled at the same time that the holes and other features were done, so it's square to the 16mm bore.
[Image: IMG_2373-r_zps00c3aa39.jpg]

I bored it to .617" (give or take .001"), leaving about .012-.013" for the reamer. The reamer worked PERFECT, as far as I can tell. I don't have a 16mm pin or other gauge to check it, but I can't get the reamer in easily by hand after doing it so it's a tight fit.

Here it is, as finished with a Scotchbrite wheel.
[Image: IMG_2375-r_zps915dcdc3.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2377-r_zps66760abb.jpg]

And the backside that only Darren will see, and only until it's on the machine.
[Image: IMG_2378-r_zps5528cb3e.jpg]

The slot and bore. I measuredthe slot with my Mitutoyo digital electronic calipers, getting between 6.01 and 6.04. If anything, it might have collapsed a tiny bit, but that's easy to fix with a "prydriver". Big Grin
[Image: IMG_2380-r_zps6f4f0f7e.jpg]

My only issue now is (apparently) the 14mm bore. I made a gauge pin this morning that measured 13.98 to 13.99 and it just barely starts at the slightly smaller end. :( I hope Darren can find a 14mm reamer. If not, I can try putting it back in the machine, indicate to zero and try reboring it. I'm sorry now that I didn't make that pin when I was ready to bore it, and taking out a "few tenths" is tricky. What say you, Darren, about the 14mm bore size?

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - EdK - 07-06-2014

Wow! Very nice. I love the Scothbrite treament. Thumbsup

Ed

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - DaveH - 07-06-2014

Well, what comes to mind is, would I trust Darren with a 14mm reamer. Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 07-06-2014

Might have to! Big Grin

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - DaveH - 07-06-2014

What about some fine emery cloth on the 14mm shaft.
To put that back for 2 tenths of a thou ............ WOW! I wouldn't want to do that.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 07-07-2014

Ken - I can not begin to thank you enough for making this for me Worthy I did try clicking the thanks button multiple times but it gives and then takes away!

The 14mm bore isn't critical and I have had to polish the bore in the hand wheel coupling and the shaft that passes through the trip feed bracket and the hand wheel coupling as the shaft has scars on it from vice grips being used in the place of a hand wheel Bash As it stands, it is probably a few thou under 14mm.

In fact, I have had to hand finish a lot of parts to get them to fit and I recall reading somewhere that this was common with the earlier Kondia mills. The worm feed (or worm of the feed, as Kondia state it) was a prime example. There was a lot of filing and polishing to get everything to fit and operate smoothly.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 07-07-2014

OK then, thanks for letting me know. I'll try to get that part, plus the elevation screw and nut, packaged and shipped today. No promises though the best of intentions!