MetalworkingFun Forum
Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly (/thread-578.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - DaveH - 09-12-2014

(09-11-2014, 07:24 PM)PixMan Wrote: I don't really get the concept in "2-D". Pictures work well for illiterates like me.

Try again?
I'm lost as well, although I thought the sketch was 3D of a pool ball without the number Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 09-13-2014

OK - I spent some time today trying to get some half decent pics. Here is what I wound up with:

This is the part in question. This is the hub that allows the quill feed to be used with a handwheel.
[attachment=9274]

Here is the 'exploded diagram' showing the detent ball, spring and set screw.
[attachment=9279]

Here we are looking from 9 o'clock through to 3 o'clock (referenced to the 1st pic).
[attachment=9275]

This is the shaft that it mates with. The large hole is suppose to line up with this 5.15mm hole, which has a 5mm detent ball that locates the fwd/neutral/rev for the quill feed.
[attachment=9276]

On the opposite side of the shaft is the 5mm key that indexes the handwheel hub. With the hub indexed by the key, the hole for the detent ball, spring and lock screw don't line up with the hole on the shaft (this is the 2D drawing that confused you Big Grin ).
[attachment=9277]

To make things a little easier, I put some sharpie ink on the shaft and then scribed the inside of the hole on the hub. Here you can see how far off the hole is.
[attachment=9278]

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 09-13-2014

Now I get it. That is possibly part of the reason that the bracket got broken. I can imagine that it NEVER worked right so someone muscled the lever trying to get the feed either engaged or disengaged.

How to fix it? Well, from your top photo it appears that the tapped hole for the 8mm (size a guess) set screw is far from center. Fortunately, that looks to be a simple part to make, and nearly as easy to check the one you have. Got a center head for a combination square? If so line up the scale to lie across the middle of the keyway, then scribe a light line acriss the face to where the tapped hole should fall on center. Does it appear to be as far off as it does looking through the hole when its on the shaft?

If the hole in the smaller shaft is off center, much harder to make a new one of those. Be prepared to bring both with you?

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 09-14-2014

The hub is a brand new part from Kondia, as the original was missing. I've emailed them but I've hard nothing back yet.

Previously, I did screw a long bolt into the M10x125 hole, which demonstrated that the hole is indeed off centre. From what I can tell, the hole and the key slot in the shaft are 180° from apart. When I back in the workshop I'll take another look using the method you suggest.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 09-16-2014

I really think you got a junk part from Kondia. Screwing a long bolt into it and seeing it point off at an angle instead of straight thru is a clear indication of "made on a Friday."

We (or I) can make one in an hour or so, though I'd have to know the size of the keyway so I can get a broach and make a bushing.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 10-05-2014

I revised the mounting point for the control box I made for the mill, to incorporate the DRO.  I toyed with a few options and decided upon mounting the DRO above the control box, with the DRO tilted forwards 5°.  I'm happy with the position and the hight, although it looks higher than it is in this pic.  Perhaps this is because the head isn't on yet.

[attachment=9359]

[attachment=9360]

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - RobWilson - 10-05-2014

Smiley-signs107  Darren , nice lookin mounts .

Rob

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - EdK - 10-05-2014

The color looks like hammertone grey. One of my favorite colors for painting metal stuff.

Ed

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 11-01-2014

Any updates? Big Grin

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 11-01-2014

(11-01-2014, 07:30 AM)PixMan Wrote: Any updates? Big Grin

As a matter of fact, there is!  However, you will have to deal with the pics off of my phone, as I got excited and forgot to take my camera with me Slaphead

OK - so the job today was drilling out the screw holes for the feed trip bracket, turning some 8mm pins to press into the holes with some LocTite (note the grove cut into each pin to stop them pressing back out) and then mark out the new holes, drill and tap to M6x1.

[attachment=9493]
[attachment=9494]
[attachment=9495]
[attachment=9496]

Once done, the selector shaft that Ken and I repaired during the week (Ken has the pics) was installed and the detent works in all three positions.  

[attachment=9497]
[attachment=9498]

I ran out of time to do anything else, as I had to sort out the reticulation pump for my Mum and then replace faulty sprinklers.