MetalworkingFun Forum
Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly (/thread-578.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 12-30-2014

I also don't see any crack but I'll take your word for it.

To give me some orientation, that view of the newly installed part, looking along the screw, is one taken from below the machine looking up into the knee casting?

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 12-30-2014

(12-30-2014, 08:01 AM)stevec Wrote: Not doubting or challenging Darren but, I don't see no crack?

You were focusing on the wrong picture Steve!

(12-29-2014, 09:43 AM)Mayhem Wrote: ...A suitable replacement found in the inventory.  Top left of this picture you can see the other side of the original retainer, with the boss that fits against the outer race of the bearing.  You can also see the crack!...

[attachment=9773]

The crack didn't actually go all the way through.  I've highlighted the area below and if I remember, I will dig the part out of the scrap bin and take a picture of it.  This is the problem I have at the moment, as my lathe and the scrap bin this part got tossed into is 25km (15 miles) from my house, which is where my mill is.

[attachment=9774]

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 12-30-2014

(12-30-2014, 08:42 AM)PixMan Wrote: I also don't see any crack but I'll take your word for it.

To give me some orientation, that view of the newly installed part, looking along the screw, is one taken from below the machine looking up into the knee casting?

Yes Ken - that is correct.  I am laying on the floor looking into the underside of the knee.

My previous post should help identify the crack - evidently I was composing that post whilst you posted yours.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 01-18-2015

I've been quite busy of late and haven't gotten much more done on the mill.  I visited three hydraulic hose/connector business trying to get the right connector for the metered oiler for the elevation screw/nut and all three were unable to help.

In the end I thought I would try to see what would happen if I used two olives, as one alone goes too far into the fitting and wouldn't compress.  I tried it and it locked up perfectly. Once all was back together I covered each of them with a plastic bag so I could see if they worked.  No point connecting them and not knowing if they work or not.  Given the age of this mill and the abuse she has seen, I was half expecting them to be blocked.  I'm happy to say that all three work.  Next will be to see if the oilers in the saddle work.

I didn't think about the light but at least you can see oil flowing!  This is the elevation screw/nut oiler
[attachment=9886]

One of the knee way oilers
[attachment=9887]

I also made a cover for the gears.  I will screw it down on top of a bed of silicone.  I know it wont create a water tight seal, but it will stop the chips getting in there.

[attachment=9888]

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - EdK - 01-18-2015

I usually consume my olives. I've never thought of using them to repair my mill.  Chin

Ed

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Highpower - 01-18-2015

I'm guessing they are "Ferrule" brand olives? I'll bet they are tough to chew though.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - TomG - 01-18-2015

At this point I think I'd be using them in my Martinis.

This has been quite a challenging project Darren and you deserve a ton of credit for sticking with it. Thumbsup

Tom

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 01-18-2015

Oh you are a funny bunch Big Grin

Thanks Tom, I've seen only one second hand mill for sale since I bought this one. They are scarce here so fixing this one up is my only real option. Besides, I'm quite enjoying the process - well, most of the time!

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - stevec - 01-18-2015

"Fixing it up" Ha ha, It's more like improving the original manufacturer's results.
I commend you Mayhem! you are very thorough. Thumbsup

Your journey has been well followed by all and we are all anxiously waiting for your
report of the first mill project.
Thanks,
Steve.

Smiley-eatdrink004

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 01-19-2015

Thanks Steve - I too am eagerly awaiting the first project. It will probably something quite boring, such as squaring a piece of stock, or putting ice onto the lump on my head when the excitement gets the better of me and I forget to take the wrench off the draw bar.

Note to self: use only an open end wrench...