MetalworkingFun Forum
Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly (/thread-578.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Highpower - 02-08-2015

(02-08-2015, 10:33 AM)EdK Wrote:
(02-07-2015, 11:51 PM)Mayhem Wrote: ... I'm leaning more to buying adjustable style handles and wondered if there may be any reason not to use these?  Keeping it 'original' is not a concern, given the 'custom' parts made already...

No reason not to use those Darren. One of the first mods I made to my mill was to replace the head locking screws with that type of handle.

Ed

Smiley-signs009

I got those cast zinc handles too. But the one on my knee didn't last long before the handle snapped. They have held up fine for the saddle and table though. I replaced the knee clamp with the "heavy duty" steel version and haven't had a problem since.

[Image: safety-clamping-lever-with-steel-screw-wds-8197]

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 02-11-2015

Old shapers actually do work...

[attachment=10029]

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 02-11-2015

They sure do Darren! They can get jobs done that may be harder on a milling machine, such as deep slotting, cutting internal or external splines, getting a "lay" to the finish that a mill can never get and (apparently) machine a part for the one and only milling machine you have that you couldn't otherwise modify!

I don't have the room nor the patience to run one again, but they are a VERY useful machine when you do have space for it.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 02-15-2015

Well not much to report, as busy with other things. I did manage to unblock one of the oilers and also cleaned out one that wasn't really doing much. I ran them through a few cycles in my ultrasonic bath. First run was in a small container filled with solvent and placed in the bath. Then 4 cycles in hot water with laundry detergent. The one that remains blocked is back in solvent and will soak for several days.

Part of me is thinking about ordering a new set but I figured once they are passing oil there isn't much that can go wrong. The other part wonders if they are letting enough through and whether I may put them back thinking they are OK and starve the ways/nuts of much needed lube...

I blew out the oil galleys and what came out looked like grease. I'm guessing it is just old oil, as how you would get grease in there baffles me. Having said that, no end of what I have discovered on this journey has left me shaking my head.

I also modified the motor junction box, so that the cable exits from the side and not the bottom. Now I just need to find some 4 core cable to suit. I've only got 5 core in stock at the moment.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 02-20-2015

I still haven't picked up the cable I need but I decided to wire it up with what I had. I'll simply change it over later.

The motor is noisier than I would like and I think I'll have to change the bearings. They were out of stock when I went to buy new ones, so I cleaned and re-packed the old ones. Obviously they were not as good as I had first thought.

The good news is that there was no issues with heat on the quill. In fact, there was no palpable temperature change after 30 minutes of running at top speed.

The bad news is that I don't have the clutch set properly, so the quill feed doesn't work. At first I was worried that something major was wrong, so I removed the selector housing and was relieved to see both shafts spinning around. I took the cover off of the clutch and the feed works if I press the keyed part of the clutch in by hand.

It is beginning to get exciting Big Grin

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - f350ca - 02-20-2015

IT LIVES

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - dallen - 02-20-2015

but will it make chips is the question now

DA

Yes it does live but it won't make chips until I get the oiler sorted and then put the saddle and table back on. Who knows what challenges that will throw up...

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Highpower - 02-20-2015

Wow. I haven't had a fraction of the problems you've had, and I've got a Chinese mill!  [Image: smiley-taunt002.gif]

Off to find my nomex underwear now....   Big Grin 

Thanks Willie - I'm betting that you either purchased your mill new or that a previous owner didn't accept a challenge to try and deliberately destroy it.  I still don't understand how some of the parts got broken.  Perhaps his wife said that he couldn't buy a CNC mill whilst he had a perfectly functioning manual mill...

At the end of the day I will (should) have a decent mill and will have a total outlay about the same as what I would have paid locally for a used mill in better condition.  Last one I saw advertised was $3900 and I've not seen one for more than a year now.  Also, it is easier to spend a little bit frequently than a lump sum.  I know I will get my money back (plus some) if I ever sell.