MetalworkingFun Forum
Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly (/thread-578.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 03-21-2015

Sounds like a quality control problem, typical of a certain country of origin. If they are a simple split pin rather than the spiral type, perhaps they could be enlarged a bit by pounding the tip of a prydriver into it?

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 03-21-2015

Thought about that but the holes were drilled to 8mm, given that the proper diameter for the roll pin is 8.5mm

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - EdK - 03-21-2015

Could you make some solid pins and use those instead? Maybe with a thread in one end so you can pull it if necessary. Chin

Ed

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 03-21-2015

I've thought about that Ed but I was hoping that getting 8mm roll pins wouldn't be such a problem.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - f350ca - 03-21-2015

Metric roll pins are hard to get here too, needed two for the repair of a paint hacker. Forget where I finally tracked them down.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - DaveH - 03-21-2015

A 5/16" roll pin will fit a 8mm hole, but they probably come in 500's as well
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 03-22-2015

I probably should have got some from McMaster-Carr last week when I purchased some handles.  I think their minimum package was 50.  I thought it would have been easier to find locally.  I'll have to do some ringing around...

Nothing really to update, so I thought that I would show you the stand mentioned in post #339. The stand allows the head to be held perpendicular to the table, so that the knee can be used to get it to the correct height to bolt it to the ram.  Once level, the ram can be extended.  The homemade NTMB30 adapter came with the mill.  The stand is cobbled together with bits from the scrap bin.

[attachment=10376]
[attachment=10377]

I also found the bearing retainer that cracked after I used a thicker and better suited bearing for the knee elevation screw.  I didn't include a good picture of it in that particular post.

[attachment=10378]
[attachment=10379]

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 04-05-2015

Well it seems like ages since I've posted an update and this is mainly due to the fact that I was having a difficult time in obtaining 8mm split pins.  I finally managed to track some down locally and they only required a minimum order of 10.

First thing I noticed once I located the yoke was that the nuts didn't have a hole in them for the oil port  Bash  How the hell I missed that, I don't know.  So, back out came the yoke and a suitable hole was drilled.  After drilling the hole, I thought that I had better pull the nuts out to see if the other holes needed drilling.  The oil is fed into the top of the x-axis nut and then runs out the bottom and into the y-axis nut (via a hole in the yoke).  At this point, I discovered that the nuts in the new yoke are two separate pieces, not a single split nut like the original yoke.  I decided to set the backlash whilst the yoke was out and I am glad I did.  There is quite a gap between the two halves when the screws are all the way through.

[attachment=10468]
[attachment=10469]

Once this was sorted out and the yoke back in, I installed the y-axis screw and adjusted the gib.  I had to stop and think for a minute or two as that seemed too easy to be true...

Next job was to put the table back on.  Rather than use the engine hoist, I had used a mobile trolley that I have and it was a simple case of cranking the knee to the correct height and pushing the table onto the saddle.  As I did this I felt several "speed humps" and decided to shine a flash light under the table.  It looked like the webs in the casting were hitting the oil feed for the yoke.  I pulled the table and sure enough, the brass 90° fitting was looking the worse for ware.  The old yoke had its fitting lower down. 

I filed the fitting as much as I dare and then took an angle grinder to the webs to take a very small amount off.  I touched each with a paint marker before putting the table back on, just in case I needed to take a little more off.  Fortunately, the table slid on without any issues.

[attachment=10470]
[attachment=10471]
[attachment=10472]

At this point I was faced with a major dilemma.  It has been a long time since I started this rebuild and I cannot help but think that I have messed something up big time.  I looked back at a picture of when I first got this mill and it confirmed my fears.  What I was looking at in front of me didn't look exactly like the picture.  

Before:
[attachment=10473]

After:
[attachment=10474]

Where did I go wrong?????

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - PixMan - 04-05-2015

I'm confused. Are we looking for something grotesquely wrong, or was this a tongue-in-cheek thing?

What I see is a vastly improved, fully assembled, ready to use milling machine with untold number of re-engineered assemblies and a DRO.

Am I missing something? Looks GREAT to me! Make some chips!!

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - EdK - 04-05-2015

(04-05-2015, 06:51 AM)Mayhem Wrote: ...

Where did I go wrong?????

The paint color of the motor doesn't match the machine?  17428

Ed