MetalworkingFun Forum
Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly (/thread-578.html)

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 09-07-2013

Thanks Willie. That is why I put the backgear assembly on the head. I couldn't wrestle it and try to engage/disengage it on the bench!

I can't take credit for thinking of using the engine stand. That suggestion was made to me by Rickabilly after I posted pictures of the stand I made for working on the x-feed gearbox.

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - stevec - 09-08-2013

Darren, I can't seem to find the post of your use of the engine stand?

Ken I just tried a search for "engine stand" at the upper left corner of this very page and it came up with nada, how come?

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 09-08-2013

Steve, that particular post may have been made on the site that cannot be named, as Rick and I were both active on there at the time and I had posted the issues I was having with the gearbox on both.

Also, the search box is crap (I can say that, as Ed agrees with me). The advanced search is somewhat better...

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - EdK - 09-08-2013

(09-08-2013, 06:55 AM)Mayhem Wrote: ...

Also, the search box is crap (I can say that, as Ed agrees with me). The advanced search is somewhat better...

Yes, I definitely agree. The search engine sucks big time. Hopefully in version 2.0 of the software they will fix it, or at least improve it.

Ed

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Highpower - 09-08-2013

(09-08-2013, 06:19 AM)stevec Wrote: Darren, I can't seem to find the post of your use of the engine stand?

Ken I just tried a search for "engine stand" at the upper left corner of this very page and it came up with nada, how come?

Steve, it wasn't a particular thread that I saw. It was one of Darren's pictures in post #70 actually. It's just that after a 35 year career rebuilding engines and such, you kind of notice those things. Rotfl

[attachment=6366]

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - DaveH - 09-08-2013

Really looking good Darren Smiley-signs107 so far Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Rickabilly - 09-09-2013

Thanks for the credit there Darren, I had completely forgotten that I'd given that adviceThumbsup

I was reading thinking, "that's one of my tricks", then when you said you "couldn't take credit" I thought, I wonder who suggested that then.

Funny how information travels.

Rick

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 01-17-2014

OK - well Kondia have given me a list of parts and actually told me that they may be able to get parts made that are no longer in stock. I've asked if I can get the drawings... I don't have a reply yet Big Grin

Now when I purchased the mill I assumed that it was metric, as it is Spanish made and this one ended up at a distributor in QLD. I've been given two options for the feed elevation nut and also the micrometer rod and nuts for the quill (inch and metric). I have made the following observations:
  • The scale was missing from the quill but the micrometer screw thread is 20tpi. There are 50 divisions on the nut.
  • The feed rates for the power quill feed are in inches per minute.
  • The feed rates for the x-feed gearbox are in inches per minute.
All of which lead me to believe that I have an inch mill, as I note that pictures on some of these I have seen have the feed rate in mm per minute.

To confirm that the axis screws are inch or metric I would zero the dial, crank and measure the distance for a revolution of the dial. This isn't possible at the moment, as everything is in pieces! Measuring the pitch indicates 5tpi and the dials are 200 divisions on the x and y and 100 divisions on the z. Again, I'm guessing inch.

Does anyone agree/disagree have any suggestions?

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - stevec - 01-17-2014

Darren, I would say conclusively that it is an "inch" mill. Curiosity asks, without going over the 79 posts to this thread, what are some of the easily accessed nuts & bolts?

RE: Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly - Mayhem - 01-17-2014

Thanks Steve. Nuts and bolts are all metric, as are the keys, circlips etc.