MetalworkingFun Forum
mini mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: mini mill (/thread-601.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: mini mill - Mayhem - 07-26-2012

(07-25-2012, 02:35 PM)Rickabilly Wrote: ...Pure torture especially considering we did it in a tin shed in January/February in Australia, most days were well over 30 degrees C up to about 42 degrees C so about 90 - 105 degrees F...

Well I'm half way there, I have a tin shed in Australia Big Grin

What size were the plates you scraped to make the master Rick?

RE: mini mill - Mayhem - 07-27-2012

(07-25-2012, 09:26 AM)Highpower Wrote: Did I just hear someone volunteer to do a "how to" on performing this procedure with Acrobat?

Something like THIS perhaps?

RE: mini mill - Rickabilly - 07-27-2012

(07-26-2012, 05:02 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(07-25-2012, 02:35 PM)Rickabilly Wrote: ...Pure torture especially considering we did it in a tin shed in January/February in Australia, most days were well over 30 degrees C up to about 42 degrees C so about 90 - 105 degrees F...

Well I'm half way there, I have a tin shed in Australia Big Grin

What size were the plates you scraped to make the master Rick?

Hello Darren,
Luckily it was more of a training exercise rather than a proper job, From memory they were about 3"x 4" which is still quite a bit of work, but in soft grey cast iron it's not too bad, an interesting point is that I did the course at the Steelworks Technical Training centre and they exclusively used scrapers made from old files.

One of the steps when scraping from a filed surface rather than a machined surface is to start filing the high spots using the "Belly" of the file and locating the high spots with a standard surface and prussian blue, much the same as you do when scraping.

Best Regards
Rick

RE: mini mill - dallen - 08-01-2012

this thread started off with me tearing my mini mill apart to fix the slop in the y axis and ended up with me redoing all the slides on the mill and a couple other surfaces, mill works a heck of a lot better now then it did when I first got it. I may of or may not of mentioned that I had already changed the thing from the plastic gears that were in it to metal gears in the hi low section of the transmission for a better word to explain the gear train. These of course were removed in due course and a belt drive of my making was installed to get rid of the noisy gear drive, plus it still had one plastic gear that hadn't been replaced with a metal one.

I had thoughts of CNC on the table or at least of a homemade table drive that could eventually be upgraded to my RF45, Wholesale Tool ZX45.

So I started gathering up some stepper motors and stuff and basically put it on the back of the shelf, or arm of the couch for a year or so. Well I got the stuff out the other day and this is what has happened.

[attachment=2618]

[attachment=2619]

[attachment=2620]

[attachment=2621]

RE: mini mill - Mayhem - 08-01-2012

Oooooh - you've started a monster!

RE: mini mill - dallen - 08-01-2012

just so it doesn't start breathing fire, but its got me doing this BashBashBashBash a lot lately

Da#$ still a 106 degrees here in OKC tonight