MetalworkingFun Forum
Hey TomG, I've got a project for ya. - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Gunsmithing (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Hey TomG, I've got a project for ya. (/thread-696.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Hey TomG, I've got a project for ya. - Tony Wells - 09-03-2012

Tom, you have the prints for the 1911? I ran across them a while back somewhere if you need them.

RE: Hey TomG, I've got a project for ya. - TomG - 09-04-2012

Thanks Tony.

Yes, I have prints for the 1911, both the originals and reverse engineered versions. I also have the kuhnhausen books on the 1911 which are very informative. I've been tossing around the idea of making a frame out of aluminum and having it hard coated, but I'm not sure how it would feel to shoot with a higher C/G.

Tom

RE: Hey TomG, I've got a project for ya. - Tony Wells - 09-05-2012

That definitely would have a different feel to it. Even light loads would still feel "wrong". I suppose you could adjust to it, or there may be a way to balance it.

Are the RE drawings you have public domain, by any chance?

RE: Hey TomG, I've got a project for ya. - TomG - 09-05-2012

(09-05-2012, 05:24 PM)Tony Wells Wrote: That definitely would have a different feel to it. Even light loads would still feel "wrong". I suppose you could adjust to it, or there may be a way to balance it.

Are the RE drawings you have public domain, by any chance?

Tony,

There are a lot of alloy frames out there although neither Caspian or Les Baer seem to offer them any more. Perhaps they aren't holding up well with age. There are a few high stress areas that may take a beating in aluminum.

The reverse engineered drawings are called M1911-A1 Redux and they look something like this:

M1911-A1 REDUX

Tom

RE: Hey TomG, I've got a project for ya. - Highpower - 09-05-2012

(09-04-2012, 10:41 AM)TomG Wrote: I've been tossing around the idea of making a frame out of aluminum and having it hard coated, but I'm not sure how it would feel to shoot with a higher C/G.

Tom

Make it a rimfire. Do up a new model Service Ace with a floating chamber. Thumbsup

RE: Hey TomG, I've got a project for ya. - Tony Wells - 09-05-2012

I think I have a chunk of Ti stashed out large enough for the frame and slide. Could buy the rest or bum some. Yet another project......sigh.

RE: Hey TomG, I've got a project for ya. - TomG - 09-05-2012

(09-05-2012, 10:28 PM)Tony Wells Wrote: I think I have a chunk of Ti stashed out large enough for the frame and slide. Could buy the rest or bum some. Yet another project......sigh.

Tony,

You could do the frame out of it if you were a glutton for punishment, but the slide needs to be hard (Rc50 I believe), especially where the barrel lugs engage.

Tom

RE: Hey TomG, I've got a project for ya. - TomG - 09-06-2012

(09-05-2012, 07:46 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 10:41 AM)TomG Wrote: I've been tossing around the idea of making a frame out of aluminum and having it hard coated, but I'm not sure how it would feel to shoot with a higher C/G.

Tom

Make it a rimfire. Do up a new model Service Ace with a floating chamber. Thumbsup

Hmmm...maybe a half scale 1911 in .22 rimfire?

RE: Hey TomG, I've got a project for ya. - Highpower - 09-06-2012

(09-06-2012, 01:53 PM)TomG Wrote: Hmmm...maybe a half scale 1911 in .22 rimfire?

Chin 6820 Cool Popcorn Big Grin

RE: Hey TomG, I've got a project for ya. - MG-42 - 09-06-2012

I think 32 acp would be a better choice for a caliber.