MetalworkingFun Forum
Carbide Grinder - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Carbide Grinder (/thread-845.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Carbide Grinder - TOM REED - 09-17-2012

I had heard that Enco0 was discontinuing their stocking of the CARBIDE GRINDER so today I called them to find out. They still stock it price of $349.00 so cheap me I asked if they ever went on sale, the female clerk checked and said as a matter of fact they are on sale right now for $249.00 thru till the end of Oct. That seems like a good price, I guess it's time to **** off the xyl again so I will be ordering one before the sale ends. tom

Thought someone else may be interested in one at the sale price.

RE: CARBIDE GRINDER - f350ca - 09-17-2012

Tom
I'd like to have one but am thinking of converting a regular grinder. There was a post recently on one of the forums (I'll use Steve's age excuse on this one, can't remember where) regarding the chinese units. Sounds like they require a lot of tuning to make them usable.
You'd either have to adapt the regular grinders ends to carry the tables, or mount the grinder on a plate and mount the tables to the plate.

RE: CARBIDE GRINDER - TOM REED - 09-18-2012

Considering the BALDOR carbide grinder of which this is a clone prices at anywhere from $1200.00 to $1300.00 without wheels I think I can spend some time to tune up this grinder as it is around $900.00 cheaper, if it were to take me 9 hrs to tune it up that is $100.00 per hour in my pocket. I think that is a good investment of my time for hobby use. tom

RE: Carbide Grinder - Highpower - 09-18-2012

I was in Harbor Freight last week and they still had one on display. $169
They are discontinuing them as well, and I'm tempted to go back and buy another one before they disappear. Chin

I bought mine a few years ago on sale + a 20% discount coupon. $129
It's well worth a few hours of labor to turn it into a usable tool IMO. It certainly beats NOT having a Baldor grinder! Big Grin

RE: Carbide Grinder - arvidj - 09-18-2012

(09-17-2012, 09:18 PM)TOM REED Wrote: I had heard that Enco0 was discontinuing their stocking of the CARBIDE GRINDER so today I called them to find out. They still stock it price of $349.00 so cheap me I asked if they ever went on sale, the female clerk checked and said as a matter of fact they are on sale right now for $249.00 thru till the end of Oct. That seems like a good price, I guess it's time to **** off the xyl again so I will be ordering one before the sale ends. tom

Is this the one?

RE: Carbide Grinder - EdK - 09-18-2012

(09-18-2012, 09:52 AM)arvidj Wrote:
(09-17-2012, 09:18 PM)TOM REED Wrote: I had heard that Enco0 was discontinuing their stocking of the CARBIDE GRINDER so today I called them to find out. They still stock it price of $349.00 so cheap me I asked if they ever went on sale, the female clerk checked and said as a matter of fact they are on sale right now for $249.00 thru till the end of Oct. That seems like a good price, I guess it's time to **** off the xyl again so I will be ordering one before the sale ends. tom

Is this the one?

That's the one Arvid.

I got the same deal Willie did at $129 a couple of years ago from HF.

Ed

RE: Carbide Grinder - dallen - 09-18-2012

got mine from HF a couple years ago gave em a 100.00 bucks for the display one without the box, it seems to run balanced anyway doesn't walk all over the table with no clamps or bolts holding it

RE: Carbide Grinder - arvidj - 09-18-2012

So what is the general consensus on the correct wheels to put on it? I had heard the diamond wheels from CDCO were the best bang for the buck if the goal tool sharpening.

Recommendations for material, grit and vendors welcome.

RE: Carbide Grinder - Tony Wells - 09-18-2012

Somewhere recently (here maybe?) his seller was recommended. I haven't ordered from him yet, but probably will.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-100mm-Diamond-tipped-CONCAVE-grinding-wheel-GRIT-200-/130751723980?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7168f9cc

That sale is done, but he is a regular seller.

RE: Carbide Grinder - EdK - 09-19-2012

(09-18-2012, 09:25 PM)arvidj Wrote: So what is the general consensus on the correct wheels to put on it? I had heard the diamond wheels from CDCO were the best bang for the buck if the goal tool sharpening.

Recommendations for material, grit and vendors welcome.

I have one of the white aluminum oxide wheels on one side for HSS and plan on getting a diamond wheel for the other side for carbide. I still have the green chunk of cement that came with the grinder on the one side until I get around to purchasing the diamond wheel. I've read that you should get the diamond wheels with the diamonds embedded in the wheel rather than one with a diamond coating. I probably have my terminology wrong but will look for links showing the two different types. Smiley-gen163

Ed