MetalworkingFun Forum
lod lathe finds a new home - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: lod lathe finds a new home (/thread-870.html)

Pages: 1 2

lod lathe finds a new home - krv3000 - 09-27-2012

hi all i started this in looking for info on a mcdugall lathe still after info but a update mell made sum new legs up today and got a lone of a pallet truck to lift the lathe on to its new legs Right sum pics

RE: lod lathe finds a new home - EdK - 09-28-2012

The gears look to be in good shape despite the condition of the oil they are bathed in. Good job on the stand.

Ed

RE: lod lathe finds a new home - dallen - 09-28-2012

nice stand but the oil I would have to say from the looks of it is pre 1900 and may need a change, gears look great thou as Ed was saying

RE: lod lathe finds a new home - DaveH - 09-28-2012

Bob,
Nice stand, it is not painted bit unlike you Bob Thumbsup Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: lod lathe finds a new home - krv3000 - 09-28-2012

hi yep it will be getting a oil change and sum new felt wicks as for the stands not being panted the lathe is gowning to be given a good scrub with sum oven cleaner then a good wash dawn then if i have my way a nice blue will be a plied

RE: lod lathe finds a new home - DanH - 09-28-2012

(09-27-2012, 06:59 PM)krv3000 Wrote: hi all i started this in looking for info on a mcdugall lathe still after info but a update mell made sum new legs up today and got a lone of a pallet truck to lift the lathe on to its new legs Right sum pics

That stuff is oilJawdrop

Good looking standSmiley-signs107

RE: lod lathe finds a new home - sasquatch - 09-28-2012

There was a McDougall Lathe company that built a number of different machines , i think they were located in GALT ONTARIO CANADA.

My 1940 catalog lists lathes from 9x42 all the way up to lathes of 26" swing x 12Ft beds.

This lathe posted is a newer one than these for sure.

RE: lod lathe finds a new home - krv3000 - 10-01-2012

hi all just a up date the oil seams to be a mix of AFT and a other oil any suggestions on Wat type of oil shod be in their

RE: lod lathe finds a new home - doubleboost - 10-01-2012

Hi
Bob
ATF is a very high speck oil
My colchester bantam used thin hydraulic oil (cos that was all they had back then)
I ran it on ATF with no problems at all
Even made finding the leaks easy
Be diffrent on a modern CNC running high RPM and load 24 / 7
John

RE: lod lathe finds a new home - krv3000 - 10-23-2012

hi well its in its new home SOS no pics will post sum by the week end mell made a under tray and he was off i started to scrape off the old pant its got more oil points than a turboprop will have to replace sum of these we have figged out haw the feed works and the stop but not figged out haw the the feed for the screw cutting shod work a part from the lever to engage the have nuts all the gearing works don't no if their is a clutch or something its not going to be blue its getting panted gray i will post a pic but where Will i get sum thick felt from and sum rubber their is two large peaces of felt in the Head stock that i have had soaking in pant thinners and their is 4 felt and 4 rubber bed way wipes the rubber is shot and the felt as had it to