Johnson Model B bandsaw
Thanks for the compliments! I got the bearings from Lynn, might have to look closer at the upper bearings to get the right ones....
monkers, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Nov 2012.
Thanks given by:
Well, after being sick for over a week i got back to work on the saw. I used 6201 bearings for the verticals, I think it will work. They are a touch bigger od than i would like but well see what happens. I ran the motor with the original belt and got a little rattling from the motor hinge bracket, then switched to the linked belt and rattle went away. I made a couple test cuts, need to play with the vertical adjustment a little. Cut a piece of 1/4" x 6" hot rolled flat and it came out square. I put a piece of 1/4" x 3 in there vertically and its out a little. Saw runs nice. I need to get a fish scale to check the head weight. I havent made a sliding weight yet either.
One more quirk is the vise seems to pick up just a hair when clamping, so i gotta check that out also.
Edit/Delete Message
Thanks given by:
I think im going to need the sliding weight, the saw barely has enough umph to shut off after its cut. Still have to mess with the guides, took some more cuts, and Im pretty happy the way it is now, but after moving the one guide it seemed to change, unless I just didnt screw the guide tight enough.
Saw seems to like the highest setting for hot rolled. Runs good, cuts good. Overall, Im very happy with it and how it turned out. Still wanna play with the guides more. Might just be user error
Thanks given by:
heres some photos, in no particular order.
[Image: 2013-02-12_15-44-15_359.jpg]
[Image: 2013-02-12_15-44-36_146.jpg]
[Image: 2013-02-12_14-07-32_796.jpg]
[Image: 2013-02-12_15-41-52_60.jpg]
[Image: 2013-02-12_14-21-11_985.jpg]
[Image: 2013-02-12_14-18-14_651.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nice work Monkers - looks like you will get years of service out of it.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Those cut samples look great! Good work, enjoy!
I'm not sure what "the saw barely has enough umph to shut off after its cut", does that mean not enough weight to activate the stop switch?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Thank you for the kind words guys!!! Very much appreciated! Stevec, yes, that is what I mean. My saw doesnt have the "sliding weight" on it to increase cutting pressure. Its unclear if all the saws came with this or not. Mine does not appear to have any of the holes where it would have been bolted on, but Im thinking Im gonna make one. The switch has a spring in it it feels like, and the weight of the saw wasnt enough to shut it off without the shrouds on it, once I put the shrouds on it started to barley shut off when the cut was done. Still have some tweaking to do lol.
I couldnt find those little "ear" pieces that hold the covers in place, but it didnt rattle bad without them, so Ill see how that turns out. Overall, Im very happy with how it turned out. Still gotta figure out why the vise lifts the work when tightened, the "nut" sticks above the table about .025, maybe I`ll decrease that amount, we`ll see.
Thanks given by:
Glad you're better Thumbsup
A very nice job - looks terrific ThumbsupSmiley-signs107Worthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Very nice.

I went back and looked at your first post in the thread and you've definitely come a long way. Thanks for sharing the adventure with the rest of us!

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Great looking saw, nice work.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by: