New Log Splitter
I some how stumbled across that video before. Nicely made. Are you going to put the backing plate on the wedge?
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Aww, now I hafta view the video again.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I just might Greg. I was thinking of some "spreaders", like angle iron at the rear of the wedge to speed the separation of the split pieces so madybe I could incorporate a "backbone". I'll keep it in mind.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
A word of caution on the spreaders. I built my current one with a wide spreader, maybe 3 inches, thinking it would open up the wood and not have to complete the cycle. It sometimes jams the block on real knotted or twisted blocks, they start to split but when I hit the spreader I run out of power and wedge the block there. Have to hammer it back. But I only have a single stage pump, with the extra power from the two stage you'd probably be fine.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I'm anxious to see the speed of the ram when it's on the first stage and whether it goes back to the first stage when resistance decreases.
The reason for thinking about spreaders was to finish the split before waiting out the entire stroke. I don't want to use "extra" power for fear of stressing my design, mat'l size, and welds. With the removable wedge I could add spreaders at a later date. Or make up another wedge with spreaders since they are removable.
Thanks given by:
Progress report. Pusher slide and plate ready for welding, if I can't find some "wood to metal" rod I'll have to make the diagonal braces out of steel. Rotfl

I notice I have the "wedge" in it's socket backwards, once I machine the "sharp" edge on it, it should be easier for me to put it in right. (provided I machine the sharp edge on the right side) Bash
I sorta thought I could rotate the cylinder 180° and have the fittings and hoses on the bottom where they'd be out of the way and protected, anybody see a flaw in that idea?

P.S. Ain't those the narrowest saw horses you ever saw?
Thanks given by:
Must be home brew day Steve, your photo of the splitter ended up in Johns post about his back plate.
Rotating the cylinder should work. Raising the cylinder so far above the beam increases the bending moment on the beam though.
Looking good.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Here's the pic.

I copied the post and reposted to this thread but the attachment didn't copy and post properly so it appears stuck on JohnC's thread.
I also found out this morning that you can only edit posts within 120 mins of their original posting.
Sorry for the screw up (that's my middle name) but at least I can line up the timing marks. Smiley-dancenana Rotfl
Thanks given by:
Greg, sorry about the timing marks crack. Blush

I positioned the cylinder higher up because of this.

I split a lot of 18-20" dia. oak and don't want to bend the new pusher plate. I'll keep an eye on the H beam though, for sure.
Thanks given by:
I would like to ask a few questions if I may.
Why a two stage pump?
What force does that ram produce?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: