Turkish Mauser I'm rebarreling.
Really my first post other than in the introduction section. Had some replies that everyone wanted to see Picts so here's a few of the Turkish Mauser I'm going to rebuild this winter. Just getting all my tooling done before hand.

Bob

This is a mandrel that I made to true up the front of the action. The non-threaded section is made to fit snug into the action if it doesn't go in that means the action is twisted or bent.
[Image: fdd16035-ab6a-43a2-a603-39b75d12691d.jpg]

[Image: fbd73065-b68b-4825-ae96-75190d6e0705.jpg]

This tool is used to lap the bolt lugs. You screw the base into the receiver than insert the inner piece. The inner piece is spring loaded to provide pressure on the bolt as you lap the lugs. This piece still needs some work done before I use it.
[Image: 7667d816-80ef-4cd2-907e-5ea0fd06606e.jpg]

This piece fits into the base and is loaded with lapping compound then screwed into the receiver. You can then use a cordless drill to turn the lap until you have contact on all parts of the inner shoulder. I may need to reduce the diameter so it will fit all the way down onto the shoulder.
[Image: cd3846c9-19de-46a4-a91d-26a69157b249.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That looks like quite a project Bob. I've considered building a sporter based on a Mauser receiver, but there are so many models and variations that I didn't know where to start. Besides, I don't think the parts are as available as they once were. Did this one come as a complete rifle or are you building it from parts?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Graemlin

Did you make your lapping tool from scratch? I'm too lazy and just cut the chamber end off of old barrels that get removed and modify them. Big Grin

[Image: 08042255-45aa-4779-b586-9e2f0529c1af.jpg]

Those receiver mandrels sure do make things a lot easier for facing off the front ring don't they? Smile

[Image: 03A3_lathe.jpg]

When you say "rebuild", do you mean restoring a military rifle or converting it to a sporter? What kind of barrel will you be using?

Inquiring minds want to know. Rotfl

And thanks for the pictures! Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by:
TomG,

This was a complete rifle. I bought two Turkish Mausers for $60 each. They are getting harder to find and more expensive. I put an ad looking for Mauser rifles online in a local forum. There out there, these were just two that I had been offered. Funds were short so I just bought these two.

HighPower,

Yes I did make the lapping tool from scratch. I figured it would give me a change to practise threading up to a shoulder. Like your lapping tool, I had originally thought about going that route, but decided to practise threading a barrel. I will be sporterizing it, the stock had been cut up. I haven't decided on a barrel yet, but it will be in either 7mm-08 or 308. What size lathe is that in your picture of the action mandrel?

Bob
Thanks given by:
Practice is good. Lord knows I need to do a lot more of it. Angel

The lathe is my Horrible Freight 12 x 36. Certainly not the cream of the crop when it comes to machines but it manages to handle my meager needs. I've since replaced the square tool post with a quick change type, and converted the electrical over to three phase power to smooth things out and add variable speed.

Threading to a shoulder always made me shudder before, because I don't have the speed and coordination that I used to. The lowest spindle speed available on the lathe was 66 rpm and it took what seemed forever for the chuck to slow down and stop. I know the old pro's can thread at twice that speed and laugh at it. Needless to say, I'm not a pro - young or old. Happyno
The quote from Ed in my signature line sums it up nicely for me.

The three phase conversion lets me make the spindle crawl when threading to a shoulder now, and stops on a dime. No more sweating a crash! Sweat
Willie
Thanks given by:
Highpower,

I made a pulley reducer for my HF 8x12 that gets the rpms down to around 40. Lowest rpms on my were 125, it did thread a spider for the outboard end of the spindle at 125.

Bob
Thanks given by:
Yes you have to do, what you have to do to get the job done. It doesn't mean you have to like it. Rotfl

If you haven't already seen it, check out Tom's thread on building his Stevens Favorite. He is fearless when it comes to machine work! Smiley-signs021
Willie
Thanks given by:
High power,

I read through Tom's post on the Stevens a couple of weeks ago when I stumbled onto the forum. Only wish I had the equipment and knowledge to build one.

Bob
Thanks given by:
(06-28-2013, 05:29 PM)unioncreek Wrote: ...I read through Tom's post on the Stevens a couple of weeks ago when I stumbled onto the forum. Only wish I had the equipment and knowledge to build one.

Bob

I only wish that Tom would pull his finger out and get back onto that project Tongue
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Soon Darren, soon. Too many irons in the fire this summer.
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: