Thread Cutting on the Lathe, Part One - Cutting Tool Geometry
I've been thinking about doing a series of videos on thread cutting for a while and this weekend to make it happen. This is the first episode and it covers cutting tool geometry of an external V thread and how it applies to the tool.

Tom

[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: arvidj , marfaguy , EdK , DaveH , Highpower , oldgoaly
Tom,

There are a couple of things you touched on in this video that I would like to see more videos on.

1) A demonstration of how you are able to grind the miniature internal threading/boring bar clearance and relief angles on those tools. It seems to me that you would need a razor sharp edge on a thin grinding wheel to cut the reliefs on those tools. Perhaps you could take the mystery out of that for me. 17428

2) While I know it's not a common thread in most shops these days, I would also appreciate a video (or 2) Big Grin on grinding and cutting with square thread tools.

And thank you for all your other videos that you have produced thus far. Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie,

The smallest of those tools were probably ground on the wheel of a surface grinder, but only because it's easy to get a sharp corner on an aluminum oxide wheel and those were readily available on a surface grinder. I do have a 100 grit aluminum oxide wheel on my bench grinder and it would work equally well. The trick is to get a nice sharp corner, but the width doesn't really matter.

Square threads are on my "hit list", so you can expect to see a video on cutting them eventually.

Thanks for the appreciation.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: