Let's See Your Mill
Here's my Enco RF-45 clone mill. It's an OK mill for the money. Certainly not perfect but so far I haven't had any problems with it. Shortly after I bought it, I changed out the motor for a 3-phase motor and set it up with a VFD. I would never want to go back to a single phase motor again. VFDs are so nice. Big Grin

Ed

Thanks given by:
Well, this is the only picture I have when it was still "clean".
An Enco 8x36 step pulley model and run from a rotary phase convertor.
BILAVFD (Before I learned about VFD's...) Blush

Taken right after making my first test cuts with the machine. I had to disassemble the entire mill and carry it down my basement steps one piece at a time. (Shades of Johnny Cash...) Big Grin

Of course I had to put Humpty Dumpty back together again, but it was all worth it in the end as far as I'm concerned.

[Image: th_Mill_Assembled-1.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
That's a really nice-looking mill you got there! I like the color, and the HUGE spindle motor. Is that and OE motor?

I had pitched in with my Mom, my remaining brother and one of my two sisters to buy this 1961 Bridgeport for my dad about 8 or 9 years ago. It's sorely in need of a rebuild or replacement. I think I found that today. I was visiting a friend and saw he had two older turret mills he rarely uses now that he's got two Matsuura VMC's. I asked if he wanted to sell one, so he offered me the newer Alliant (Taiwan) machine with Prototrak CNC for $1500. I told him to consider it sold.

I may have to wait until he moves because his new CNC lathe might be in the way of getting the machine out, but if I have to take it apart like you did yours to get it moved out, I will.

For now, this is the old beater:

[Image: IMG_1536-r.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ken,

You got a real good deal on that Alliant mill. That's a good friend you have there. ;)

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ken,

Yes that is the original motor. (1-1/2 HP 3-phase)
It's a smaller mill (8x36) so that just makes the motor look bigger. Big Grin

I would have loved to have gotten one of your "old beaters" but they are just a few inches too tall for the headroom I have. And quite a bit heavier as well. I would have liked to have a head that nods, but that is only available on the larger models. Still, for a cramped home shop it does what I need it to do.

I agree with Ed. You got a heck of a deal from your friend for that machine.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie,

I like the size of your Enco mill and would seriously consider one that size but the 8x36 mills like that do not have the power downfeed spindles like the 9x42 and larger sizes have. I really want that feature on my next mill.
Your mill in nice none the less.

Ed
Thanks given by:
You are right Ed. I would have liked that feature as well. But until I hit the lottery jackpot I'll have to make do. LOL.

Then I'll just buy a bigger house with all new machines, because I'm not about to try and move the ones I have again. Whoever buys this house gets the machines too! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
And now for the mill!

I carried this beaset down the basement steps bit by bit and then decided to restore the whole mill....:s
[Image: IMG_4919.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4921.jpg]
It is in really good condition with minor surface rust.
All the rust is now gone and the clean bits are sitting around with a protective coat of wax while i strip and repaint all the other bits!

It also came with this rusted Palmgren milling vise!!! I did not see what make it was till later. Just needs a good cleaning and a new set of jaw inserts and it will be ready to work again!
[Image: IMG_4923.jpg]

All the pics are from the original owner who had stored it in his garage for 2 years and never used it...

I will start another thread about the restoration later!

Andrew
A proud member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.

1959 Myford ML7,1949 South Bend 9A,Clausing 8520 mill,Keller Die filer,1929 Rhodes Shaper.
Thanks given by:
Andrew,

That's great stuff. Quite the photographer smashing pics.

If you could could show the restoration - that would be great.

:):):):)
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Andrew,

That will make a nice mill for you once you get it restored. I look forward to seeing your progress on the restoration.

Ed
Thanks given by: