Question for the woodworkers...
Willie, I hesitate to suggest this at this stage but could you not make your patch look like a knot?
I know it's a dumb idea but I couldn't resist writing something with "not" and "knot" in the same sentence. Blush
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2013, 04:01 PM)stevec Wrote: Willie, I hesitate to suggest this at this stage but could you not make your patch look like a knot?
I know it's a dumb idea but I couldn't resist writing something with "not" and "knot" in the same sentence. Blush

Hitting the home brew again Steve? Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Steve, I'm already a "knot head". Don't need any more. Rotfl

(10-11-2013, 03:56 PM)TomG Wrote: Willie,

It's tough to get end grain to match. If I had realized what you were doing sooner I would have suggested that you cut the dovetail on an angle so it went all the way through, then there would have been no end grain to match. I'm sure it will look fine once you get it oiled up.

Tom

Tom, once again I didn't do a good job of splain'n myself. I'm not really worried about the end grain. What I wanted to avoid was seeing an obvious glue line or seam like this:

.jpg   NoGlue.JPG (Size: 74.83 KB / Downloads: 93)

As long as it doesn't look like Bubba worked on it, it will be OK. Blush
Willie
Thanks given by:
That's Knot funny Steve. Rotfl
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash Bash

So....... What is a good product (that I don't have to buy two gallons of) for bleaching out the natural color of wood?
Willie
Thanks given by:
Oxalic acid (deck cleaner) works great on wood, or you could just sand it.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
sunshine and lots of time!
oxalic acid, also works for dissolving rust, beer can collectors use is. I have too, bought it originally for wood bleach then someone gave me a couple of gallons of the two part wood bleach. Do you come to the St. Louis area?
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
Why would you want to bleach the wood? You can buy mild bleach made for wood at a place like Rockler, but you end up with a drift wood look. Just sand the wood to get the natural color back. Oil as you stated earlier.
Larry
LJP, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by:
I left extra wood on top of the filler piece for sanding down to the level of the surrounding wood. The top surface was slightly darker than what I wanted but not too bad. But after sanding down the filler plug to blend it in, it suddenly decided to turn black when it got down to an underlying strip of grain. Bawling

The fit of the plug worked out beautifully with no glue line what so ever. But because of the color difference it stands out like a black fingernail on Edgar Winter's hand. Blink

I tried applying some dark walnut stain to the stock to match it, but the plug is still much darker. From what I have been reading on the interwebs, oxalic acid is good for removing stains but only 2 part wood bleach will lighten the natural color of wood? 17428

[Image: gaah.gif]
Willie
Thanks given by:
I would redo the patch, before bleaching. Bleaching is unpredictable at best. Redo the patch, checking color with the alcohol trick.
Larry
LJP, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by: