Question for the woodworkers...
...or just keep sanding. There is lots of material to work with compared to the plug. The black layer is likely only a few thousandths thick.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I stripped the finish again from the patch and a little of the surrounding wood. Applied some two part bleach to the patch with a Q-tip and watched it slowly lighten in color until it looked liked the surrounding wood that had no stain on it. Neutralized the bleach and let it dry overnight, then touched up the area with a little stain the next day - followed by several coats of tung oil 24 hours apart.

Far from perfect, but close enough for government work.
Thanks again for the walnut piece Tom. You saved the day for me. Worthy

Willie
Thanks given by:
Looks pretty darn good to me. I have to say good job.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Not a bad job at all Willie. If I didn't know it was there I'd never notice it, and as it is I can hardly see it. Thumbsup Smiley-signs107

Ed
Thanks given by:
Looks great Willie! We'll make a woodworker out of you yet.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Nice job Willie - I wouldn't be able to pick the repair if I didn't know to look for one. Now all that is missing is the brass plate that attaches beneath the barrel and reads "Smile and wait for the flash!".
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Nice job Willie, who says your not a woodworker?
LJP, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by:
Willie,
Smiley-signs107 looks great Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(10-27-2013, 05:31 AM)LJP Wrote: Nice job Willie, who says your not a woodworker?

I do. As Harry Callahan would say, "A man has got to know his limitations". Big Grin

Someone that takes 2-3 weeks to refinish a single piece of lumber is not a woodworker. Happyno

Thanks anyway guys.

Yesterday things went much more efficiently. I made up a Delrin bore guide for cleaning the barrel in about an hour. A much more comfortable experience for me. Rotfl

Willie
Thanks given by: