Press brake for 20 ton hydraulic press
(06-04-2014, 07:52 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Is that the weld yourself version Ed?

Yes it is.

I know, I don't know how to weld worth a crap so why the hell did I buy it? In hopes that it'll encourage me to increase my welding skills so I can make use of it. There have been numerous times I could have used a press brake so it'll be a nice addition to the arsenal.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-04-2014, 10:45 AM)arvidj Wrote: I don't see a $140 version on their web site. $150 for the 12 ton version and $170 for the cheapest 20 ton version so I am also interested in what you got.

Had I known you were looking for one I would have offered mine and then replaced it with the 20 TON Finger Brake Heavy Duty DIY Builder Kit.

Arvid

Arvid,

I ordered the 20 ton version. I selected the option of "With Out Adjustable Back/Side Stop" which takes $30 off of the $170 price. That option is for making repetitive bends which I don't plan on doing much of so felt it wasn't worth the $30.
The finger brake would be nice but I couldn't justify the extra cost at this time. I still need to get a compressor.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-04-2014, 12:21 PM)EdK Wrote: I know, I don't know how to weld worth a crap so why the hell did I buy it?
Ed
That's me as well Big Grin - I have a sneaky plan I'm thinking to hold everything together in the press (just a bit of force) to stop it all moving an' warping. Smiley-dancenana
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-05-2014, 08:26 AM)DaveH Wrote: ...... to stop it all moving an' warping. Smiley-dancenana

Good luck with that Dave. Sign0147
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Tack all the corners, then back step your beads only welding 3 - 4 inches at a time, and switch sides when starting a new bead. Don't let the heat concentrate in one area. The worst thing anyone could do is to try and do a single continuous bead across the entire die.

Willie
Thanks given by:
Thanks Willie,
Very nice video - I did feel for Mr Shrink at the very end of the video Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-05-2014, 10:25 AM)Highpower Wrote: Tack all the corners, then back step your beads only welding 3 - 4 inches at a time, and switch sides when starting a new bead. Don't let the heat concentrate in one area.

Willie,
When I switch sides is that diagonally?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
That's the way I (the amateur) do it on long pieces Dave. That way you don't get a lot of heat build-up at one end of your parts, while the other end is still cold. You want to try to spread the heat out across the entire area in small batches.

I watched a new video that was posted this morning that is a good example of what NOT to do. Funny thing is, the young man in the video is a graduate of the Hobart welding school, and has welding certifications up the wazoo! Just goes to show that even the best sometimes gets forgetful. Slaphead

The good thing is, he's smart enough to know how to fix his mistakes and beat Mr. Shrink at his own game. Thumbsup

Willie
Thanks given by:
Thanks Willie.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I've been thinking - if I had a press brake I could make that "U" channel much like the one Ed has from Swagoffroad. http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=2136
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Maybe they have a SwagOffContinent division near you that you could order it from. 17428

Ed
Thanks given by: