Licking my Wounds Lathe Rebuild Project
This is my first post, so my introduction too I guess. lol

my name is Billy and I live in Saskatchewan Canada. Smiley-eatdrink004 I'm a retired woodshop / small engine teacher and fairly new into metalworking.

I am ashamed to admit that I was a sucker when I bought my lathe but i'm sure i'm not the first guy. Slaphead

Rather than type the story I thought I would just film it.

please feel free to comment on my videos. I will continue to upload videos of this project as I go.

Lagun Lathe Rebuild

Lagun Lathe Rebuild 2

Billy..
Billy....
Saskatchewan, Canada

Atlas 10x36
Lagun Republic 14x40
Cincinnati H Mill
Linde Mig
Miller Arc

Thanks given by:
Nice looking Lathe you've got there Billy. I've not seen inside a quality lathe gearbox before so surprised to see the inside was painted! Good idea of course and nice to see. Good luck with the reconditioning. Smiley-signs107
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
(06-23-2014, 09:34 PM)BillyT Wrote: This is my first post, so my introduction too I guess. lol
Billy..

What about this one back on the 21st?

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=2155

By the way, looks like you're doing an excellent job on the rebuild as well as the documentation. Thumbsup

Amazing process that Electronic Discharge Machining, isn't it.

Keep us informed of your progress that Lagun is a very good machine
and yours is a decent size too.
Smiley-signs107
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
That looks like quite a project Billy. The good thing about a project like that is that when it's done, you'll know the machine inside and out.

I'm not sure why the fellow who repaired the gears used EDM. It seems he could have skipped a step and machined the gear teeth directly rather than make an electrode and then use that to machine them, unless he hardened the teeth after they were welded.

Thanks for posting the videos.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Tom, I wondered about EDMing too but maybe the welding was with some kinda rod or filler that produces a hardness that conventional machining wouldn't handle? Chin
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Probably the rod was "Hard-facing rod " ,we use it for blades on loaders , tractors , backhoe's,etc. It is several times as hard as 70 or 60 series rod , but difficult to machine as well .
kenne, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2014.
Thanks given by:
By the way just for the record, he would have used a 'graphite' electrode - not 'carbon fibre' as per the video commentary. I tend to use copper for my EDM electrodes as it makes less mess when machining albeit a more expensive material.
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
Nice work Billy. It looks like that will be a real nice lathe once you get it sorted out. The spindle through hole looks nice and big which is always a good thing.

I helped a mate pull the gears on his 7" lathe and we had to do a similar thing in stripping out all the gears to get the the seal that was leaking! We made the call to replace all the bearings at the same time.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(06-25-2014, 02:24 AM)awemawson Wrote: By the way just for the record, he would have used a 'graphite' electrode - not 'carbon fibre' as per the video commentary. I tend to use copper for my EDM electrodes as it makes less mess when machining albeit a more expensive material.

Thank you for that correction, I was not sure about that.Slaphead
Billy....
Saskatchewan, Canada

Atlas 10x36
Lagun Republic 14x40
Cincinnati H Mill
Linde Mig
Miller Arc

Thanks given by:
(06-25-2014, 07:41 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Nice work Billy. It looks like that will be a real nice lathe once you get it sorted out. The spindle through hole looks nice and big which is always a good thing.

I helped a mate pull the gears on his 7" lathe and we had to do a similar thing in stripping out all the gears to get the the seal that was leaking! We made the call to replace all the bearings at the same time.

I agree it's better to change them all now rather than take it all apart againBash
Billy....
Saskatchewan, Canada

Atlas 10x36
Lagun Republic 14x40
Cincinnati H Mill
Linde Mig
Miller Arc

Thanks given by: