Project Spin Indexer Tailstock
Ken,
No not joking, climb milling on small or bench top milling machines is not a good idea - unless the depth of cut is very light less than .004".
It is going to thump the table and take up the back lash all the time whilst turning the handle. It could damage the cutter, the work piece, the machine and all three. Not to mention the noise it can make.
Seriously Ken, most guys with these types of mill will suggest not to use climb milling.
Just one of these things we (with small mills) have to get along with.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I should have mentioned small/bench mills with normal lead screws.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2014, 07:22 PM)PixMan Wrote: ...

So Ed, how did it work and feel? The chips look like they barely got hot, so your cutting speed is probably low. You want to get the heat out with the chips, not into the workpiece.

Other than the noise from the bearings or gears, it felt like it was cutting fine. I cranked up the speed as I went along and saw that it was cutting OK. There is a lot of backlash in the screws on my mill. Another project on my long list that needs attention.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Finished up the slot key this morning.

Ed

Thanks given by:
So Ed, are you liking that cutter?
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 11:54 AM)PixMan Wrote: So Ed, are you liking that cutter?

I like it but my mill doesn't. I thought the gear head was going to explode it was making so much racket. I aborted after a few more passes with the tool and reverted to using an end mill to finish it up. It took a long time to mill the thickness down from about 1" to .551" using an end mill.

I think that wonderful tool will have to be saved for the bigger mill I eventually plan on getting.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed, nice work mate Thumbsup
You can still use that cutter, try taking two of the inserts out (the two opposite ones). It can be used as a (sort of) double sided fly cutter. I have one with four inserts but only use it with two, it works quite wellThumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: EdK
Here is mine in action.

It is fair zipping along as one can see from the smoke trails.
I know mine isn't as big as yours but size isn't everything mate Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
It will never work for you Ed, just fire it off to me.
Let me know when you need the address
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 07:17 PM)f350ca Wrote: It will never work for you Ed, just fire it off to me.
Let me know when you need the address

I'm not falling for that Greg. Rotfl

Ed
Thanks given by: