Toolpost lock nut
(08-20-2014, 09:30 AM)DaveH Wrote: Wow Steve, for some one who does not have a degree in physics that is a pretty good explanation Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
How do you know that I don't have a degree in physics?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(08-20-2014, 11:09 AM)stevec Wrote:
(08-20-2014, 09:30 AM)DaveH Wrote: Wow Steve, for some one who does not have a degree in physics that is a pretty good explanation Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
How do you know that I don't have a degree in physics?
Well ........ it was sort of a 'wild guess' Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
A quote from Kurt vises,

All Kurt vises have a friction reducing, needle
bearing, thrust collar. The needle bearing
increases jaw clamping pressure.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Nice video Steve, subscribed.
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
I had a tool post lock nut for about 2 days, twice I, during the tool change phase, I hit the wrong lever. I ended up changing the tool post orientation., so off it came and I'm back to the box wrench method. Its too advanced for me.
jack
Thanks given by:
(06-28-2015, 05:26 PM)the penguin Wrote: I had a tool post lock nut for about 2 days, twice I, during the tool change phase, I hit the wrong lever. I ended up changing the tool post orientation., so off it came and I'm back to the box wrench method. Its too advanced for me.

I have had that happen, too. I took the ball off and turned some grooves in it so it feels "wrong" when I grab it, hasn't happened since :)

I too use a thrust bearing under the lock nut, and anywhere else that needs a lever to pull up a fitting, it really magnifies the force put into the bolt when you don't have friction to eat it up!
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by:
Photo 
Wow, I liked the idea of this Lever Nut so well I just had to make one. I have a picture of mine and yes, I did make a fairly long handle, 7 1/2". If this doesn't hold as well as I hope, I'll just put the old nut back on.
Donald

OOps, was going to post a photo of my nut but I don't seem to know how to do that. Maybe later when I learn more.
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2015, 09:27 AM)donray0 Wrote: ...
Donald

OOps, was going to post a photo of my nut but I don't seem to know how to do that. Maybe later when I learn more.

Donald,

Here you go: How To Post Pictures

Oh, and Welcome to the forum.

Ed
Thanks given by: