Making a Trap Stock for a Remington 870
check out some of the knife maker supply places they have stuff in all sorts of colors.

this may not be what your looking for but its pink

http://www.knifemaking.com/product-p/gj811.htm

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
That may work David. Never would have thought you could get pink G-10.

Thanks,

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Excellent work Tom. I am looking forward to seeing that get a coat of oil.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Darren. I actually cheated this morning and threw a quick coat on to see what it looked like. The good news is that the stripes show up great. The bad news is that there is a also a lighter horizontal stripe on one side as well. It showed up when I was shaping the stock and I had hoped it wouldn't be so apparent. I guess that's just one of the hazards of working with wood. I'll throw some pics up when I get it finish sanded.

Tom

David: I ordered some pink Kydex on one of the knife supply sites. It's basically an acrylic/PVC sheet and it used for sheaths and holsters because it can be thermo-formed. The G-10 would have worked as well, but PVC is easier (and safer) to work with.
Thanks given by:
(09-14-2014, 11:25 PM)TomG Wrote: That may work David. Never would have thought you could get pink G-10.

Thanks,

Tom

your welcome, They carry it in pink cause girls like knifes too. But you better watch out if you order some of the prehistoric mammoth tusk its on the pricey side.

The G10 works better for straight razor scales, then pvc.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I got the stock finish sanded tonight and slapped on the first coat of oil. I've never used Tru-Oil before so I'm not sure how many coats it will take to fill the grain, probably 8-10 for walnut.

Filled the two voids in this side with Titebond and sawdust, then rough sanded with 100 grit.
[Image: IMAG0415.jpg]

Finish sanded with 220 grit.
[Image: IMAG0417.jpg]

I put the first coat of oil on nice and thick with my fingers because most of it will likely soak in. Subsequent coats will be wiped on with a rag.
[Image: IMAG0418.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nice tiger stripe. Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by:
That looks awesome Tom and so much better than a synthetic stock. Are you going to do any checkered areas or just leave it as it is? My preference would be the latter.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Beautiful Tom!

I've been reading a lot about Tru-Oil recently. It's being used to finish guitars by a lot of hobbyist guitar builders that aren't set up for spraying finishes. From what I've read, many thin coats is the way to go with that stuff.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Darren: The checkering will be up to Marty. I would suggest a minimal amount in the grip area since it does actually have a purpose.

Thanks Ed: This stuff is essentially a varnish so it tends to build up on the surface, once the pores in the wood are filled in. It's supposed to be better than tung oil because it gets harder. Supposedly tung oil will feel sticky on a stock when handled on a warm day. Not sure what this stuff is made of, but I do detect a slight fishy odor when applying it, as with Rustoleum. Chin

Tom
Thanks given by: