Mule
Made spindles to match trailer hubs, got to love the Hardinge for threading and good surface finishes for seals. 
The kingpins will sit at 10 degrees for the caster, so I bored the knuckle to take the spindle at that angle. 
[Image: IMG_1509.jpg]

A light force fit and welded the singles in.

[Image: IMG_1510.jpg]

Hub installed.

[Image: IMG_1512.jpg]

TSC showed the oilite bushings I wanted for the kingpins on their horrible online site, so I call the store to see if they have them, and another option I could make work, their computer said they had 4 of each, but the guy said he better check the shelf, comes back and says no they don't have them. The power was out this aft so I thought I'd drive down and check, the bins had 4 of each sitting there. DUH. So I can start the axle next.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I hope I can someday get into welding because I'd love to take on a project like that.

Nice work!
Thanks given by:
Welding isn't that difficult, if I can do it anyone can. I think the biggest thing is getting over the fear of welding hot. That capping pass on the back of the spindle was at the maximum setting for the 260 amp machine, Repaired a backhoe bucket for the chap down the road last week. The welds were so hot I had to open the shop door to let some cool air in.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Ken, if Jen doesn't teach you, I will.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Jen has offered, and has already let me try my hand at TIG welding on her machine. What I need to get started is....a welding machine and a place to put it. I lust for a Miller XMT304, because it can do MIG/TIG and stick. Plus it can use a special wire feed for welding aluminum.
Thanks given by:
Just came back to site, and read this thread first off. Enjoyable read seeing this project coming together!
Thanks given by: f350ca
Made the axle beam today, 2 x 3 1/4 wall tubing. If Im driving when this gets bent its going to hurt.

Cut the pockets on the end at 10 degrees to match the king pin angle on the knuckles.

[Image: IMG_1515.jpg]

Welded in, used bronze bushings in the axle, the king pin turns with the wheel. Made the tie rod from 5/8 cold roll, may replace it with 1/2 schd 40 pipe and weld these threads in.

[Image: IMG_1518.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Nice work Greg, it's coming along nicely Thumbsup 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
The front axle is finished, needed to do a mock up to design the rest of the frame.

[Image: IMG_1521.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1523.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Wow Greg - that sure is impressive Worthy 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by: f350ca