Mule
The donor tractor had a small lightweight steering box, thought better but tried mounting it. Wasn't heavy enough and too low a ratio, only 2 turns lock to lock. Found a more suitable one but it led a rough life. There was bolt broken off in it and one of the mounting lugs was snapped off. 
Before.
[Image: IMG_1533.jpg]

Welded in. I can't get sharpe edges so build up more than needed.

[Image: IMG_1535.jpg]

Trimmed up and drilled.

[Image: IMG_1537.jpg]

Have the steering gear mounted now to try this box.

[Image: IMG_1538.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Top job Greg , I am looking forward to seeing this machine in action Big Grin  , it is looking very neat and tidy, not to mention sturdy, Keep up the good work .
  Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Got the steering box mounted, (sorry the phone pic from the front was fuzzy) Seams to work well, now need to build a steering column 

[Image: IMG_1540.jpg]

Loving the plasma table when it comes to making weird shaped parts.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Been working away at the project but slow progress  making linkages what not. Have the steering finished, the brake linkage done and the controls to the hydrostatic drive built.

[Image: IMG_1541.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1542.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1543.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Not much to show for a few days work. Got the throttle hooked up. switch panel and wiring done and the exhaust system made up.

[Image: IMG_1547.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Hi Greg, I think you have got lots done myself, knowing what all them linkage etc type jobs are like where you have to design as you go they really eat time up.
  Looking at the photos the steering wheel lookscto on a tilted angle ? or is it just the way it looks on the photos. Once its all assembled and tested what do you plan on doing for paint/ coating the chassis ? Looks like a bugger to paint etc so I am wondering will you get it gavanised. 
  Keep up the good work , its a real good project and post Greg.

Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Ya Greg, Is the steering wheel/column on the right side of the operator as opposed to being in front like a normal car/truck?

I'm constantly impressed with the speed of your progress. Smiley-signs107

Steve.
Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys. Just saying it doesn't look much different than the last photo from 4 days ago. Your correct the wheel is tilted to the left, to have it somewhat in front of the seat. Would have been hard to get on and off of if the column was in front of the driver. Where it's located I'll be able to walk along in front of it and back it into some really tight locations or use it to move trailers while I can watch where they're going.
I know what your saying Mick, I've been thinking the same thing this is going to be a bugger to paint. If I clear out an area at the back of the shop I should be able to suspend the ends from the overhead cranes. Hoist it up to spray the bottom then lower it and get the top. Galvanized would be nice but not going to happen with a cheap bugger like me. Prepping it will be a challenge in the winter. i like using a strong degreaser and pressure wash before painting but thats not likely to happen in the cold.
Greg
Thanks given by:
spray it with Rhino Liner
DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
The air cleaner that was on the engine was skilfully crafted in such a way that it was useless for this application and no way to modify it.  Today I whittled out an aluminum adaptor that should cross over to ABS drain pipe for the new air intake.

[Image: IMG_1569.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by: