Clamp Type Knurling Tool
Ok, you guys shamed me into getting back to work. Big Grin 

It's amazing how much of this website stuff you forget after being away from it so long. I had intended to finish detailing the drawings today, then build the page on the website for the tutorial and hopefully shoot the first video. As it turns out, I got the drawings finished and the page built, but it took most of the day figuring out how to do it all again, so there wasn't enough time to shoot video. The good news is that the page is up, complete with links to all the drawings, so you can take a look and see what you think. I should be able to shoot some video of machining the first part later this week.

Clamp Knurling Tool

Tom

[Image: Clamp-Knuling-Tool-e1416169804657.jpg]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
That's a nice knurling tool Tom. Can't wait for the videos. Might try to build one myself since I have been wanting a clamping knurling tool for a while now.
Steve S
Check out MyShopNotes on youtube.
Thanks given by:
already made one like that, now need to make one with a bigger hole in it.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Tom,

Very nice design & drawings.   Thumbsup   I especially like removing the stress from the cross slide.

What is the largest diameter it is designed to knurl?

One comment/suggestion. I'd add the 10-32 bolt hole pattern on the back/bottom of the holder which would enable one to mount it 90 degrees from the existing design. I think it would give the knurler more options for mounting and probably reduce tailstock extension making the set-up more rigid. That would be especially advantageous to those with smaller (< 10") lathes.

Thanks,

Stan
Thanks given by:
I am thinking of making it out of steel for greater rigidity and damping qualities. Any reason not to do that?
Thanks given by:
(11-20-2014, 10:53 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: Tom,

Very nice design & drawings.   Thumbsup   I especially like removing the stress from the cross slide.

What is the largest diameter it is designed to knurl?

One comment/suggestion.  I'd add the 10-32 bolt hole pattern on the back/bottom of the holder which would enable one to mount it 90 degrees from the existing design.  I think it would give the knurler more options for mounting and probably reduce tailstock extension making the set-up more rigid.  That would be especially advantageous to those with smaller (< 10") lathes.

Thanks,

Stan

Thanks Stan.

The largest diameter that can be knurled is 2".

I'm not sure what you mean by adding a bolt hole pattern to the bottom. Also what do you mean by "tailstock extension"? The tool is meant to mount in a quick change tool post.

Tom
Thanks given by:
(11-20-2014, 11:07 AM)PixMan Wrote: I am thinking of making it out of steel for greater rigidity and damping qualities. Any reason not to do that?

Ken,

In my opinion, making the whole thing out of steel would be overkill. The mounting bracket is steel so it will resist marking from the tool holder screws but the body is fine in aluminum. I've been using the commercial clamp knurling tool that I based the design on for years and it works just fine with an aluminum body. Steel would just make the thing heavier without making it work any better.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Hi Tom 

What would the procedure be to set this knurling head up ?  and is there any float built into the design so that both knurls apply  the same pressure to the work ?

Cheers Rob 
Thanks given by:
Rob,

I just run the knurls against the work finger tight, snug up the lock screws and add about 1/8 turn additional pressure (less for finer knurls). It works so well that adding the extra complexity of a self centering feature wouldn't really be worthwhile. Besides, there is enough backlash in the cross slide screw to allow the tool to float, so it already self centers.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Cheers Tom ,

Just as I thought ,looking forward to seeing it in action . I do like a good bit of toolmaking .

Rob
Thanks given by: