A Boma
What if you had a round piece with a slot milled into it. Hold it in your vise and stick the hot end into the slot and then bend the bar around the circumference on the round. Much quicker than fiddling with a bit of hot SS on a H-frame press and you should get a more scroll like form.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
bend it hot, easiest way to do it, if you have the equipment to heat it up with.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Bend it hot seems to be the way to go, I don't think I have the 'fire power' to get about 6" of it red hot. I can do small silver solder jobs and that's about it. I could try doing it a bit at a time - works with mild steel that I do know I've done it. Whether it works with stainless I have no idea - to me it seems it should but there again I thought 3mm thick stainless would be easy to scroll Bash      so my thoughts are pretty useless. Big Grin

I'm going to try the press see how that goes no heat, cold, it will either work or it won't Cool

The way Darren suggested works well with mild steel, normally it takes two one to hold and bend the bar whilst the other uses the torch. 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Just tell your wife that scroll work is out of fashion these days and the way of the future is crisp, straight lines.
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2015, 12:13 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Just tell your wife that scroll work is out of fashion these days and the way of the future is crisp, straight lines.

She doesn't like scrolls too much, it was my bloody daft idea Cool 
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Well it's cloudy, overcast, grey day - been raining looks like more rain forecast is rain, I think I will go back to bed.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2015, 07:54 PM)DaveH Wrote: I'm thinking of doing it in the 20 ton press - that should deform it.

It may need to have a round bottom, not flat as shown.

Might work - I have no idea how I end up doing all these "daft" things.
It will spring open quite a bit but I'll squash it in the vice Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

From the pic (how come it doesn't appear in the quote?) I'd be afraid of the "channel" just spreading open. Sad

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Have you tried the heat yet Dave. If so, how did it go. Maybe making the scroll a little larger would help?

"Billy G"
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2015, 06:57 AM)stevec Wrote: From the pic (how come it doesn't appear in the quote?)...

Hang on a minute. You're the one who complains the loudest when people post quotes that contain the pictures!
Thanks given by:
Dave, could you build a fire pit and heat it with wood. I know I think they're called a BOMA, ya build one of those then heat the stainless over it.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: