5 Cylinder Radial
(10-31-2019, 10:45 AM)Brian Wrote:   

Hi Dr Stan 
If it ever gets to the stage of flying it. I want a very stable low speed aircraft with the capability of carrying a heavy load.. So my thoughts
are of a scale Spirit of St Louis.  With a span of 11 Ft    It's slab sided and parallel cord so it should be an easy build in foam sheet.
But all this is a long way ahead first lets just see if it runs???

If you use the Ryan, you may want to exercise a bit of artistic license and add some dihedral to the wing. The original design is inherently unstable and especially so with a model. The last thing you want is to have to fly it all the time to keep it in the air.

Many years ago, I started building a Gnome rotary engine and made a deal with my dad that if I finished the engine, he would build a 1/4 scale Nieuport 28 to put it in. The engine was pretty far along, but unfortunately life got in the way and Dad got old, so it was never completed. I do plan on a resurrection, but it's doubtful I could complete it in time for Dad to see (he's 93), although it would be nice to at least see the engine run.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Hi Tom
Yes some dihedral would be a great help I have considered a little wash out on the tips and perhaps making the fuselage a little longer To make control softer the original is very close coupled.
I think the Gnome must be at the top of your to do list .
Brian.
Brian, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
http://briansworkshop.weebly.com Welcome
Thanks given by:
(10-31-2019, 02:36 PM)Brian Wrote: Hi Tom
Yes some dihedral would be a great help I have considered a little wash out on the tips and perhaps  making the fuselage a little longer To make control softer the original is very close coupled.
I think the Gnome must be at the top of your to do list .
Brian.

Actually the Stevens rifle is at the top of my list, once my life is back in some semblance of order. The Gnome will follow.

Tom
Thanks given by:
(10-31-2019, 10:45 AM)Brian Wrote:   

Hi Dr Stan 
If it ever gets to the stage of flying it. I want a very stable low speed aircraft with the capability of carrying a heavy load.. So my thoughts
are of a scale Spirit of St Louis.  With a span of 11 Ft    It's slab sided and parallel cord so it should be an easy build in foam sheet.
But all this is a long way ahead first lets just see if it runs???

Oh I believe it will run, you already have too much work in it for it to just sit & be a static display.

BTW, I was thinking along the lines of a bi-plane.
Thanks given by:

The last part of the casing done apart from fitting the front bearing , that will be done when the crank is finished.

So its on to make the crank. 
Brian.  Smiley-dancenana
Thanks given by:
Just arrived in the post 10 euro  free delivery    Just could not resist it.

Brian.  Smiley-dancenana

Thanks given by:
I was wondering how you were going to handle carburation. If the size is appropriate, that seems like a good option.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Quote:Note: Some technical skill required to fit.

They obviously don't know Brian very well. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Certainly a wise choice. You would have spent a lot more than 10 Euros on material, labor, etc to build a carb.
Thanks given by:
Brian, I can't believe you spent 10 Euros on something you could have spent 20 Euros on materials and hours of work to make, that might not work as well.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: