Project Filing machine build
Photo 
 For my next project I decided on making the MLA-18 filing machine. When I ordered the kit from Andy Lofquist he told me that I was in luck. 
Andy said he thought he had about a 6 month supply of kits just a few weeks ago but had a sudden jump in orders.
In any event he had just received a batch of castings from the foundry and was ready to ship. 

The kit was ordered, it was delivered and I got started. I've never posted an on going build post so I thought it was time to give it a go. 

The instructions that come with the kit didn't specify starting with the body but it does make sense to start there ( and it's the first item 
discussed in the notes). Andy points out that there are several techniques that can be used to machine to parts but the castings had been designed with the idea that somebody with a 9" lathe should be able to complete the build (with some caveats). I have a Grizzly 11" lathe and a Grizzly vertical mill of enough capacity so I shouldn't have a problem (famous last words :-) ). 

The Body casting comes with a nice hefty lug ( Thanks! Andy) to chuck up in the lathe. I chose to use a 4 jaw and given the nature of castings I would highly suggest not using a self centering 3 jaw, but with care a 3 jaw would probably suffice. 

[Image: 22633621677_3178add63e_k.jpg]IMG_1472 by Charles Stover, on Flickr

Using the urls until I figure why the inline links aren't working.
Sorry. 
Since this a casting there is no "reference" plane to work from. We are going to now establish that plane. 
Before I mounted the body casting in the lathe I used a centering/ruler that comes with most square kits to establish the center point, kinda. This is just a rough reference point. Sorry I didn't get a picture of it. After roughly centering the bottom in the chuck I tried to visually equalize how much was going to be removed during turning. I tapped/ jiggled the piece until I was happy then clamped down on the jaws and started turning. 

[Image: 22429170204_4b18510d16_k.jpg]IMG_1471 by Charles Stover, on Flickr

[Image: 23025939496_fa5123e4e9_k.jpg]IMG_1475 by Charles Stover, on Flickr

More later.
If it's crazy but it works, it's not crazy.
Thanks given by:
well cr*p. The images aren't attaching. I'm using flickr and thought I set everything to public.... grrr.
Suggestions welcomed.
If it's crazy but it works, it's not crazy.
Thanks given by:
They're a fun and useful piece of equipment to build. Built one several years ago. Was the first thing I ever made from a kit and someone else's drawings.
You might want to look at a DC motor for it, I find mine could be a little slower.
Keep posting.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I fixed it for you but here you go marfaguy.

How To Post Pictures

Ed
Thanks given by:
Looks like a good job thus far. Nice work. Smiley-eatdrink004

I have thought about getting a small machine like this many times and then it seemed like the kits had disappeared. 17428

I went and had a look at Andy's site and was floored by the shipping cost ($50 to my zone) of the kit alone. Yikes
I just sent him an email asking about shipping Priority Mail flat rate instead of parcel post. We'll see..... shipping could be a deal breaker. Chin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(11-16-2015, 10:57 AM)Highpower Wrote: I just sent him an email asking about shipping Priority Mail flat rate instead of parcel post. We'll see..... shipping could be a deal breaker.   Chin

Let us know what he says. I've been thinking of getting that kit this tax refund.

Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
Chuck, I just got a reply from Andy.

Quote:William,
    Wish that I could.  The trouble is the filer body casting is too large to fit in any of the flat rate boxes.  So the only shipping option is regular parcel post.  Andy Lofquist, Metal Lathe Accessories

Looking at the picture on the web page, I'm estimating the base casting stands about 6 inches tall.
marfguy: Is that about right? 17428

Medium and large flat rate boxes are 5-1/2" tall.   Rant
Willie
Thanks given by:
From the website:  "The work table is 7 inches in diameter...The minimum requirement for making the filing machine is a lathe of nine inch or greater swing."

If there was a miniature version, say 1/2 scale I'd be all over it.  But I have no more room for something quite that large.  Besides, my lathe is too small.  Bawling
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
How much do the castings weigh? I've shipped some really heavy and oddly shaped stuff via FedEx Ground and never paid anywhere near $50. That includes a rigid conduit bender and a large aluminum handicap ramp.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(11-16-2015, 07:31 PM)Vinny Wrote: How much do the castings weigh?  I've shipped some really heavy and oddly shaped stuff via FedEx Ground and never paid anywhere near $50.  That includes a rigid conduit bender and a large aluminum handicap ramp.

The basic kit ($119.50) is approx 30 lbs.  Shipping to me would be $49.49
The pulley blank (5 lbs.) is an extra $23.50 if you want that also. Plus another (for me) $6.40 for shipping.
Bronze bearing material - extra $38.00 plus $2.24 for shipping.
Hardware kit (screws) add $5.50 - free shipping with the kit!   Smiley-dancenana

Quote:Other materials required for making the filing machine are mostly common flat and bar stock.

After I add it all up, this casting kit (less other materials required) would set me back approximately $250 delivered. I don't know that I want one that bad....   Blink
Willie
Thanks given by: