Cheap Ammo Cans
Walmart has steel ammo cans for $13. They've gotten good reviews. In store purchase only and not all stores carry them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stout-Stuff-Me.../181890587

Ed
Thanks given by:
For anyone in the Detroit area, White Lake has 7 left.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Surplus ammo cans can be found at a lot of sporting goods type places in different sizes. .30 cal, (skinny) .50 cal (fat), 20mm, 40mm on up (huge). I have several dozen of them that I bought years ago from a local "Uncle Sam's" military surplus / camping supplies store. Back then you could pick them up for $4 - $5 each even at gun shows.

They serve as great tool boxes too!
Willie
Thanks given by:
The use I've seen which I like a lot is for holding quenching oil for hardening steel. This is commonly done by knifemakers. I like that you can flip the lid down if the oil flares up, and if the seal is in good condition, it prevents spills when the lid is latched down.
Thanks given by:
Harbor Freight now sells cheap "ammo cans" made of plastic. While probably not as durable as actual metal surplus, they are cheap ($5 with coupon) and seal fairly well. I have some for camping gear - perfect size for a well equipped first aid kit, small tool box, etc.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
I need two ammo cans or something similar.

I want to make something like this ... https://bxpanded.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=62 ... for my tractor except I will make it out a aluminum to eliminate the rust issue mentioned in one of the reviews. Any suggestions about which ones to get that are heavy enough to hold chains and other 'not-so-lite' stuff?

Thanks,
Arvid
Thanks given by:
Don't tell me you have a Kubota with no tool box. Great tractors, wouldn't be with out mine, BUT what are they thinking when they build a tractor with no tool box and no good place to mount one. The roll bar mount is interesting but might be in the way at times. I've thought about mounting one on the side of the loader arm.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg,

Actually it is a John Deere 1025R FILB. The 'toolbox' is more like a shoe box. See the third picture from the top ... http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/s...226?page=1 ... and NO, that is not my garage or tractor. You can easily determine that by the huge patches of uncluttered floor visible in the picture ?

Arvid
Thanks given by:
It may be a shoe box Arvid, but at least its a box. Heck mine doesn't even have a cup holder.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(06-27-2016, 10:40 AM)arvidj Wrote: I need two ammo cans or something similar.
-----<snip>-----
Any suggestions about which ones to get that are heavy enough to hold chains and other 'not-so-lite' stuff?

Thanks,
Arvid

Arvid, look for a 40mm can. It has latches on both ends so you have to take the lid off completely. You could stuff it full of chain and it will handle it. The lids on the .30 and .50 cal cans are hinged but they come off easily as well.

Willie
Thanks given by: