home made mill
Don't think a 3 phase motor can be rewound for single phase Bob. You need a start winding and switching to disengage it.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
A 3 phase motor can be run on single phase with just a capacitor - admittedly with a lower starting torque and overall power
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2016, 01:46 PM)awemawson Wrote: A 3 phase motor can be run on single phase with just a capacitor - admittedly with a lower starting torque and overall power

Bob,

This may be the time to invest in a RPC Rotary Phase Convertor.  I use this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-HP-ROTARY-PHAS...0526178147

I have it set up so I can run my Logan lathe and my 6X12 surface grinder, just not at the same time.

You couldn't ask for a nicer and ethical man.  You'll need to also buy a 10 hp 3 phase motor to complete the set up..
Thanks given by:
Bob's in the UK Stan !
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
hi all well i will just have to see wat the motor pepel say on munday
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
hi all just a up date the motor has bin rerawnd 240 volt single phase the cost of the rewind £60 and £20 for a fowherd and revers switch  it shud be dropped off at work sum time this week  Thumbsup Drool Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
Great build Bob ... any updates .

Sean
Information junkie  Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
hi all yep its bin sum time sins the last post motor got rewound was waiting for a switch on a slow bot from chine it did not turn up I got one off the net wrong one got the type of switch details of the motor people went to RS got the switch back to them got it all back they had a problem with the gear box I put that right repainted the motor body back to work got the switch weird up plugged  it in switch on nothing happened  Jawdrop
blown fuse in the plug Big Grin  will post sum pics tomorrow night
Thanks given by:
Come on Bob , its cruel to do a post like that with no photos Big Grin   Great news though , looking forward to it chewing metal Bob Graemlin

Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Yep - no pics, nothing happened Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: