AR-15 Build
Has anyone built an AR-15? Either from scratch or from purchased parts?

Ed
Thanks given by:
I'm planning on starting in the next few weeks after I get a few things knocked out around here. The open space problem I have here is about to go away.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: EdK
I think Willie had a thread on here where he was machining a receiver. I think Tom bought some receivers to machine as well.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
I machined a couple of blank forgings a while back. It was a fun project although one of them doesn't seem to feed reliably. In all fairness though, I haven't spent much time troubleshooting it. It's all pretty straight forward machining, although making a couple of simple fixtures was necessary.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
I'm thinking of getting an 80% lower and machine it.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I was going to make a 0% AR15 receiver, then a 80% and wound up with a finished one just for the cost and saved a lot of money that way. I bought parts and put it together and had to buy some tools to do it that way, so next one would be cheaper. I did add some extras since the pic like a scope, flip up sites and a bi-pod. Going with the M4 style gave me the option for adding some goodies. I would still like to make a 0% receiver, but it was way quicker to do it the way I did. I used Davinson barrel and upper with a 1-7 twist 16". Magpul stock, Tapco stripped receiver and Anderson lower parts kit. See pic.
Paul

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

pjf134, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Why 80% Ed? Those are made for guys with nothing more than a drill press to work with. For someone like yourself with a mill, taking a raw forging to a finished receiver would be a fun project.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(10-25-2016, 05:08 PM)TomG Wrote: Why 80% Ed? Those are made for guys with nothing more than a drill press to work with. For someone like yourself with a mill, taking a raw forging to a finished receiver would be a fun project.

Tom

I'm new at this gun stuff and didn't know about raw forgings. The only reason I was looking at 80% lowers is because just yesterday I learned I could get an 80% lower without going through an FFL. Now I'll look at raw forgings. Thanks for the info.  Thumbsup

It does sound like a fun project. I'm definitely going to get my DRO installed before I tackle that though.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I was looking for 0% forgings recently and couldn't locate any.
Thanks given by:
(10-25-2016, 05:32 PM)Roadracer_Al Wrote: I was looking for 0% forgings recently and couldn't locate any.

Here you go Al. I just bought one of these.

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch...t_id=30630

Ed
Thanks given by: