engine hoist cylinder
I have a 2 ton Chinese engine hoist I bought used about 10 years ago that gave up on me.  I disassembled the cylinder and discovered the plastic seal/piston ring at the bottom of the piston was degraded.  I have some polyurethane I could use to make a new one, but was hoping to find a source for the part and save myself some time.

Anyone have any suggestions for a source?

Thanks,

Stan
Thanks given by:
Not exactly what you were looking for but food for thought and will certainly save you time ...

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-ton-heavy...60394.html

or be lazy and

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-ton-long-...94562.html

I put the air version on my engine hoist many years ago and have never looked back. It made working either alone or with the wife [she would run the jack] much easier.
Thanks given by:
I bought a pneumatic version from Northern Tool and installed it a few days ago.  You're absolutely correct in it making life easier.

Before I just scrapped out the cylinder I thought I'd see just what is wrong .  Disassembled it and plan to repair it and keep it for a future unknown project.  Manual log splitter or hydraulic attachment for the rudder on a duck's behind?
Thanks given by:
A lot of hydraulic cylinders use an O-ring for the seal. Could you make a new aluminum piston with a couple of O-rings.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
When I rebuilt the two cylinders for the tip tray I have, I took the old ones into a supplier and purchased the replacements. They were fairly cheap.

I could tell you exactly where to go in Perth but not in Kentucky - sorry.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2017, 07:55 PM)Mayhem Wrote: When I rebuilt the two cylinders for the tip tray I have, I took the old ones into a supplier and purchased the replacements.  They were fairly cheap.

I could tell you exactly where to go in Perth but not in Kentucky - sorry.

One thing for sure, if I come back for a another visit I'll have to stop back in Minsky's.  It's on my bucket list.
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2017, 04:54 PM)f350ca Wrote: A lot of hydraulic cylinders use an O-ring for the seal. Could you make a new aluminum piston with a couple of O-rings.

That's quickly becoming a real possibility as I cannot get the piston off the ram.  It looks to be screwed together, but all I've managed to do is scar up the rings just above the seal.  At first I thought the seal was split so it could be installed.  Turned out to be a crack instead of a purposeful split.

Tomorrow I'll breakout the cutoff grinder and take it apart.

We have an auto parts house here that is connected to the Federated distribution centers.  Excellent counter men who know their way around.  A very refreshing experience in contrast to the chain stores.  Head & shoulders above the local NAPA store .
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2017, 12:47 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: One thing for sure, if I come back for a another visit I'll have to stop back in Minsky's. It's on my bucket list.

Hit me up when you do and I'll buy the first round!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2017, 07:58 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(01-05-2017, 12:47 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: One thing for sure, if I come back for a another visit I'll have to stop back in Minsky's.  It's on my bucket list.

Hit me up when you do and I'll buy the first round!

I'll hold you to that.   Smiley-eatdrink004
Thanks given by:
To qualify: I say this without ever using an air assist hydraulic cylinder in an engine hoist.
Showing these pictures in order to point out what I see as a trade off.  I think the air assist lacks some control

The first photo shows the angel the motor, had to start at with the transmission low to clear the tunnel. As the motor was lowered into position it require a bit of a dance..

Three moves, push in, remove some of the angle, lower hoist, repeat until set into place. Some times it was necessary to raise the hoist a bit to reestablish the angle.

The manual pump allowed slow and direct control of the amount of movement.  If an engin hoist is only to be used to lift heavy objects, then by all means the air assist is a decent option.

Greg
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by: