Frankenmill: Bridgeport J head onto Victoria U2
I completed the Mach Tach installation today, mounted it under the DRO. I've decided to run it off a 9v battery, I put a switch on the side of the enclosure so it only needs to be on when setting speeds, I figure the battery life should be pretty reasonable that way. All the spare 9V power supplies I could muster were putting out closer to 12v when measured, which apparently risks releasing the smoke from the Mach Tach, not something I want to do, especially considering they are no longer available.

The rev count agrees with my analogue RPM meter. The spindle speeds are actually double what the plate on the machine states; I guess the high RPM motor has been a retrofit. Top speed is 4600 RPM. Something of an improvement over the original Victoria vertical attachment.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2019, 04:15 AM)Pete O Wrote: ..... especially considering they are no longer available.

Whaaaa??? This is the first I've heard of this. Bummer.
I guess I better go download all the info files and source code before they disappear too. Sad

Your's is looking good though Pete. Clean install.
Willie
Thanks given by:
I've been adding a few final touches to the Frankenmill as time permits. First a work lamp; I didn't want to spend the money on an off-the-shelf machine lamp, was browsing some online auctions and spotted a bunch of underwater photography equipment, it was in a sale that was unlikely to attract specific interest from the diving crowd so I picked it up for a song. What attracted me was the universal mounting arms and brackets. A modification to an old desk lamp to adapt a 12v domestic downlight (for some reason I have boxes of the things) and the result is a very versatile work lamp.

With a total of eight ball joints, it can flex into pretty much any position. A nice bonus is that I've put the remaining camera gear back on the net and look like making a small profit  Big Grin

The next little addition was a two-outlet coolant manifold that clamps onto the dovetails under the overarm. Cobbled together out of stuff I had lying around. I run coolant across from the lathe, plain old garden hose fittings seem to do ok for the task. A similar hose connector on the lathe means I can just click the hose onto either one.

The third completed item is the cover for the horizontal spindle shown in the photos above. The rusty old heavy-walled pipe I picked up to make my big crucible was just the right size to be bored out to fit.

Lastly, some perspex that I shamelessly dumpster-dived for last year finally found it's way onto the mill table. Keeps chips fairly well under control.

About the only thing remaining before I call the Frankenmill complete, is the top cowl for the vertical motor. Nothing has come to hand just yet.

Thanks given by:
...and paint the rest of the mill to match. Big Grin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(06-27-2019, 11:56 PM)TomG Wrote: ...and paint the rest of the mill to match. Big Grin

Tom

That's retirement talking!

Thanks given by:
(06-28-2019, 03:02 AM)Pete O Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 11:56 PM)TomG Wrote: ...and paint the rest of the mill to match. Big Grin

Tom

That's retirement talking!

Happyyes
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: