Home made jib crane with photos
Thanks Dave,
I will try to get him out of the photos, but he keeps hanging around like a shadow.

Ed,
Just to add to above, over in the US you can buy a new crane like that for around $1500, but over here your looking at around $6000 plus, so well out of my range.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Dave,

That's quite a price difference but even $1500 is out of my price range. Yikes

Ed
Thanks given by:
I have also been toying with the idea of a mobile gantry crane. Basically an I-beam supported on each end by an A-frame on wheels. I would need it wide enough to straddle the tray on my ute (pick up). I was given a 2 ton chain block that would be ideal and I found a set of plans off a web site from a US company who sells them, so I am confident that the 4000lb rating will be accurate.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I am on a bit of a property and have lived here a long time, so I have a bit of lifting and moving gear around. I picked up a gantry off a mate and put a heavier RHS across the top and have lifted 1.5 ton with it and it was fine, though it doesn't have wheels which would be good.
My father inlaw (who has passed) designed my shed and said each truss would take 3 ton, so anything heavy in the shed I lift off the shed.

There is no need to buy plans, just do what I did and go onto the crane/gantry sites and they put up all the details like steel sizes. You just have to watch it though because US beams are different to ours over here.

There are a few around on forums and I have kept the pictures. One guy used 2 engine crane jacks to raise and lower it under his roller door.

Don't forget to take heaps of photos.

Dave
Thanks given by:
I forgot to say, if you want to see the pictures of them just let me know.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Oh don't worry Dave, I never buy plans :) What I grabbed was a line drawing with the specs for each of the various configurations in a table. They were kind enough to have a metric set too!

Yes please - we like pics!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2012, 07:52 AM)Dave J Wrote: I forgot to say, if you want to see the pictures of them just let me know.

Dave
Pictures, did you say pictures ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

Bring 'em on Smiley-dancenana
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: