Lathe Bearings and Seals replaced
Because there were some oil leaks and a broken back gear bull gear tooth I decided to make it a project.

The disassembly of the Headstock and removal of the cone pulley with gear and spindle required a little ingenuity and adapted parts to accomplish.  In addition the bearing races needed to be extracted by running a bead of weld with the MIG welder. Once cooled the races almost fell out.

The bull gear on the other hand was not so cooperative. As I only have LPG and Oxygen in the workshop reaching the required heat for the 1" x 5" dia. bull gear and melting point for the purpose bought 2.4mm Silicon Bronze brazing rods took about 2 hours on day with about 40deg temperatures in the workshop.

All up it took less than one week to finish and cost a little over one hundred dollars for parts. Here are a few pictures to give an idea of the procedure.

Head stock showing broken tooth    

Head stock reassembled    

bronze bushed cone pulley and gear    

front of Head stock with new race pressed fitted    

Head stock back bearing race    

silicone brazed bull gear    

Bull gear tooth/teeth hand filed used needle files see finished gear below    

pressing new bearing onto chilled spindle    

repaired bull gear on right     

Head stock and back gear layout    

VFD controls for Lathe    

tramming the Head stock with the ways    

tail stock alignment with head stock and ways    

Many lathes have detachable Headstocks usually with three cap head bolts for tramming the head stock to the ways. 

perhaps the foregoing may assist someone somewhere sometime.

John aka castellated nut Rotfl
Thanks given by:
John, that's quite a list of tips and techniques you've cataloged for future reference. Nice work.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Impressive file work on the tooth John.
I don't envy you working with the torch in those conditions, it's been high 30s to mid 40s in the shed here for the past couple of weeks and I've been turning out some pretty evil-smelling t-shirts just drilling holes.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
(01-23-2019, 11:28 PM)Pete O Wrote: Impressive file work on the tooth John.
I don't envy you working with the torch in those conditions, it's been high 30s to mid 40s in the shed here for the past couple of weeks and I've been turning out some pretty evil-smelling t-shirts just drilling holes.

Rotfl very funny, Pete, and thanks for your visit. i also have a preference for the moderate temperatures. Perth is currently enjoying a Global Warming COLD SNAP . . . down around the low 20's during the day and in the teens at night. February in my experience is the hottest month, when the children go back to school.
Thanks given by:
(01-23-2019, 11:19 PM)Hawkeye Wrote: John, that's quite a list of tips and techniques you've cataloged for future reference. Nice work.

Thank you Mike.
Thanks given by:
Ditto excellent work. Smiley-signs107
Thanks given by:
(01-24-2019, 12:05 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: Ditto excellent work. Smiley-signs107

thank you Dr Stan
Thanks given by:
Nice job on the repair, John. It sure is fun having the ability to repair your own machinery.

I do find the temperatures down there somewhat amusing. I was snowmobiling at our cabin last week and the temp reached -23F one night and stayed below zero the following day. Slaphead

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(01-25-2019, 10:07 AM)TomG Wrote: I was snowmobiling at our cabin last week and the temp reached -23F one night and stayed below zero the following day. Slaphead

Tom

Exactly why I no longer live north of the Ohio river. Smiley-gen163
Thanks given by:
It wasn't too bad though. The snowmobiles heat just about everything that needs heating.

Besides, it's a dry cold. Big Grin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: