Hot dip
Has anyone come up with a recipe for a hot dip plastic/wax coating to use on cutting tools?  The commercially available products are pricey to say the least.
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2021, 11:44 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: Has anyone come up with a recipe for a hot dip plastic/wax coating to use on cutting tools?  The commercially available products are pricey to say the least.

I'm surprised that you say that - I've just checked the price of Crocell from Cromwell Tools and it's only £6 per 500 gram brick and 500 grams goes a long way. I bought a few bricks years ago but rarely have to top up the pot. I always recycle it, putting peeled off skins back in the pot for next time.
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
Guess it depends on your definition of 'pricey'. 4-5 dollars a pound from McMaster too.
https://www.mcmaster.com/coatings/impact...for-metal/
Willie
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2021, 01:48 PM)Highpower Wrote: Guess it depends on your definition of 'pricey'. 4-5 dollars a pound from McMaster too.
https://www.mcmaster.com/coatings/impact...for-metal/

That's much better than what I found.  Anyone know if a Crock Pot will get hot enough?  Another alternative would be an electric skillet.
Thanks given by:
Just found the temp range on a crock pot, 190 to 300 degrees F.  Wonder if I could "soup up" the crock pot?

A Fry Daddy will hit 375 F and the shape is good.
Thanks given by:
Out of curiosity I looked around at Dipseal pots. Yikes

Anywhere from $350 to $1000 for the same 4qt pot! Slaphead

"Souping" up a crock pot? Isn't that what they are for? Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
I used a deep fat frier for some years before a genuine Crocell pot turned up on eBay that I could afford. I actually sold the deep fat frier with a bit of Crocell in it for more than I paid for the Crocell pot!

If you go this way get one where the elements are welded to the underside of the pot, not immersed in it, or clean up is difficult.
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
Picked up a cheap ($25) deep fryer at Big Lots today. Goes up to 375 degrees F so that is good. I'll have to figure out how much dip to purchase.
Thanks given by:
Does anyone know the typical size of a block of wax?
Thanks given by:
Wax blocks come in many sizes. The last one I bought was from Michael's (the hobby/craft place) and they had a ??% off coupon so it was less than $10. Don't recall the weight but it was a good 2" thick and about 12x16. Since then I just buy it granulated in bags. 3/4 lb from BulkApothecary.com (small bag is 1 lb) fills a small crock pot most of the way. I use it for leveling when I make a mold.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: