How to Indicate A Vise in Just One pass
Wawoodman,

It could also be that the table gibs need to be tightened. When you reverse direction of the table travel with loose gibs the table is going to move some in the Y direction and make it look like it's the DTI. Just a thought.

Oops! It looks like Tom beat me to it. Great minds think alike.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2012, 12:00 PM)EdK Wrote: Great minds think alike.

Ed

Smiley-signs064
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Why don't we all send our "last word" DTIs to Bob and let him have the LAST WORD? Smiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2012, 01:35 PM)stevec Wrote: Why don't we all send our "last word" DTIs to Bob and let him have the LAST WORD? Smiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana

Excellent idea Steve. Rotfl

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the tip on the gibs. I tightened them up, and the needle is DNO. Not a wiggle.Smiley-eatdrink004

Mikey is a happy camper!
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2012, 09:12 PM)Wawoodman Wrote: Thanks for the tip on the gibs. I tightened them up, and the needle is DNO. Not a wiggle.Smiley-eatdrink004

Mikey is a happy camper!

Mikey,

That's what we like to hear. Something we said actually helped someone. Smiley-dancenana

Ed
Thanks given by:
I thought that might be the case. Were you able to indicate the vise in just one pass?

Now get busy and make something. We want to see pics of stuff you've made! Thumbsup

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2012, 09:12 PM)Wawoodman Wrote: Thanks for the tip on the gibs. I tightened them up, and the needle is DNO. Not a wiggle.Smiley-eatdrink004

Mikey is a happy camper!

Hi Mikey,

I think we are all happy campers Thumbsup Smiley-dancenana
Glad it came right Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
That's a real neat trick (tip). When I first started watching I thought "Oh no! He's gonna bounce that poor indicator all over the place!" But, as usual, I was incorrect. My swivel base went when I traded my round column up for my Monster Mill (Induma), but if I ever get another swivel vice...
pamrick, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(09-15-2012, 12:28 PM)pamrick Wrote: but if I ever get another swivel vice...

Hi Rick! Smiley-signs046

Swivel vice not required. That tip works great on plain vices as well.
I've got alignment keys on my regular old flat vices, but there is still a thou or two of movement in the table slots - and Tom's method makes it simple to get it dead straight with a tap or two on the vice.

Try it, you'll like it. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by: