How to Square Up Stock on the Milling Machine
(06-23-2012, 04:42 PM)TomG Wrote: I like to set the dial to whatever I have to take off so I don't forget the number, but that's just me.

Tom

That's a good tip Tom. Much like setting a lathe cross slide when threading. You always know to return to "zero". Smiley-eatdrink004
Willie
Thanks given by:
All together now, "Duh! Ron" Big Grin Simple way to accomplish that in this case. I'll catch on to the whole "thought process" one of these days. Just need to get the mill powered up and start making little pieces of metal out of bigger pieces of metal.

Thanks,

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Don't worry Ron, I recall reading things and thinking wow this is either really complicated or I don't understand a thing. Then when I actually got my lathe up and running, it made a lot more sense. I guess that is why we have evolved into men who don't read the instruction manuals any more. It is often easier to power up and let the learning begin!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Mayhem.

I'll look at it as filling in for the "village idiot" until a better one can be found. Big Grin

It's pretty obvious that I've never run a mill before and while I am very good with mechanics and tools in general this kind of work also includes a "process" that one must develop in order to get to a completed piece. With little to no machining experience it's taking some time to develop that way of thinking. Fortunately I really like the challenge. Tongue

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by: