Sharps Borchardt Action
(08-13-2012, 08:51 AM)MG-42 Wrote: Thanks for the info. This coming weekend I will try and get it apart. Thanks again.

Well MG-42 how's it going? Have you made any progress yet? Please let us know, and let us see pictures, please.

Harry
Thanks given by:
No luck yet. I am still trying to get it apart. I have de-rusted it still can not get it apart.
Thanks given by:
Hello MG-42,

Have you found out if there is any ultrasonic cleaning companies in your area yet? It may be your best bet now. Those tanks certainly kick the muck out.

Harry
Thanks given by:
Heat cycle it. Put it in an oven, warm it up to 250-300. Take it out, let it cool. Tap the parts, spray with penetrating oil. A couple of cycles my be required to open up the joints, but it should allow the oil to get in and break things loose.

Warning! Penetrating oil will smoke and stink, so unless you have a way to heat it up besides the wife's oven, don't do it. You'll stink up the whole house.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
I have heated and dunked in transmission fluid on a number of try's still no luck.
Thanks given by:
have you tried using a battery charger and some washing soda in water to cook the rust out, a cheap battery charger with the negitive lead hooked to the receiver and the positive lead hooked to a hunk of scrap will basically plate the rust off the parts. the lower the electrical charge the longer it will take for resultes. I did some C-clamps that I found that I had forgotten about for like 25 years with this method using my charger set on 12 volts and 15 amps and in like 30 minutes all the rust was washed off with a brush and they look like new.

anyway hope you get it apart, take your time thats a hunk of history you have. do you have any pictures of it.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: